Chapter 85

A few days later...

Killian stood aboard an unfamiliar deck surrounded by the worst crew possible. The deck creaked nonstop, and god forbid you stepped on the wrong plank. The ropes that held the sails were unraveling by the minute, and this small merchant ship was much too slow for his liking. His days were filled with nothing but Regina's screechy voice filling the air as she tried to order everyone around. It often led to a fight between her and David, followed by Snow acting as the peacekeeper. He couldn't bear to hear another damn speech about how they all must get along and keep hope. On top of all the nonstop chatter, Robin would flash uncalled-for looks at him all day. Nonetheless, the pirate kept to himself. He only had one thing on his mind, and that was getting to Emma before it was too late.

The only peace Killian got on the small vessel was when he woke before everyone else and took in the morning views. To no surprise, it reminded him of his princess.

As the pirate stared out to the glistening sea, he recalled all the mornings aboard the Jolly Roger where he'd find Emma admiring the sun's early glow as she sipped her tea. Her wide smile would follow as he greeted her with a kiss on the forehead. He'd ask her how she slept, already knowing the answer, but he'd do anything to hear her talk. Her voice was the most beautiful thing ever to grace his ears...

    His thoughts were interrupted as everyone gathered on deck, "Would you watch where you're going!" Regina shouted at Snow.

And the captain thought Emma wasn't a morning person...

    "You mustn't forget, I'm pregnant!" The queen snapped back, "And this constant rocking is making me quite nauseous."

    "If you're going to toss your biscuits, at least do it over the railing this time." Robin added as he pushed his way onto the deck, "I despise that my job on this ship is cleaning up after all you people."

    "Killian, do you think perhaps you could not rock the ship too much?" David asked as his own nausea took over.

    The captain rolled his eyes, "Does it look like I can control the bloody ocean?"   

    "I can't believe I'm stuck on the world's smallest ship with the king and queen of seasickness." Regina pouted.

Now more than ever did the captain appreciate his original crew. It was a shame he couldn't bring along Smee and a few others to handle the ship's needs.  The four people he was stuck with were more likely to drown them all.

As the bickering continued, Killian returned to the helm, where he was consumed by his thoughts once more. He tried to take himself to a more calming place and began to imagine Emma running up to him with a smile on her face as he steered the ship. Her rosy cheeks prominent, and her golden hair flowing in the wind as she rambled on about how much she loved life out at sea and then snuggled up against him once she began to feel cold. If only it were real... 

As the day went on, the bickering died down. Everyone had found something to keep themselves busy and out of each other's way. Snow was down in the secluded galley making them dinner, Regina in her cabin trying to find a spell to make the ship go faster, Robin was helping maintain the vessel while David set the table on the deck for them to eat. It took a while, but everyone found their place and got used to the confined space.

    The captain watched as Snow brought up a soup pot and placed it on the table, followed by Regina, who commented on how she was starving. "Killian, come eat!" The queen called out.

    He sighed and dragged himself over to the table as Robin passed around a bowl of bread rolls to go with the soup. His appetite had vanished, and the bread didn't smell nearly as good as the one Emma makes. "The meal looks lovely." He praised quietly.