Chapter 50

Two days later... 

It was early morning. The sun was beginning to rise and the sky was filled with fog as Killian carefully steered them into Ambrosia's waters. They had finally made it to Neal's kingdom. Emma was currently wrapped in one of Killian's arms, trying to keep warm as he steered with the other hand. She rested her head on his chest and she let her fingers play with some of the visible hair. She never understood how he never felt cold. Surly his heavy leather coat kept him warm, but he always had his chest revealed... Her fingers graced his heavy chained necklace. It was also cold to the touch.

"If my coordinates are correct, we've just entered the prince's kingdom." Killian said, interrupting Emma's thoughts.

She pulled away from her captain's warm embrace, "I should go wake Neal."

Killian nodded in agreeance and placed a kiss on her head before she headed below deck.

    After heading to the crew's quarters the princess found Neal fast asleep in one of the bunks. She shook his arm several times before he woke. "We're going to dock soon. You should get ready to leave." Emma said softly, standing above Neal.

The tired nobleman rubbed his eyes and stretched out his long limbs, "Are you sure you don't want me to accompany you to Arendelle?"

The princess raised her eyebrows at him and frowned her face, "You should've asked that a week ago. Arendelle is in the opposite direction and you are well aware of that."

"Easy..." He responded while sitting up with a smile, "It was just a joke."

Emma, who was not amused, remained impassive. As much as she loved Neal and his humor, it got old as time went on. Growing up with him she learned all of his never-ending jokes. She also learned he never took anything seriously. Everything had to be a joke. Perhaps that was why they weren't a good match. She took pride in her kingdom, wanting to make sure everyone was well taken care of. While Neal did as much as he could with his father's less than civil approach to ruling a kingdom, he would always try and make a joke out of what his father did to his people. Maybe it was his way of coping with it, knowing he couldn't do more...

After leaving Neal to prepare for his departure, she headed to the ship's galley. When her deceitful chefs jilted, she took their role. Killian was more than glad, the princess was quite handy in the kitchen. The last two days, she made delicious meals without draining their food and ingredient supply, unlike the other two cooks. Recently she had just prepared some fresh bread. It was still warm and smelled heavenly. Emma decided to bring King Rumple a gift, hoping it would keep her in his good graces.

Killian secured his ship as Emma arrived above deck with a basket that was releasing the sweet smell of homemade bread into the air. "You better not be bringing that up here unless it's for me." He teased as he finished tying up a sail.

The princess laughed, "Afraid not captain. It's a gift for the king."

"Don't waste your breath. You know he won't eat it." Neal commented, arriving above deck with a trunk of his belongings.

Emma knew he was probably right, but it couldn't hurt to try...

As they made their way to the king's castle Killian carefully took in his surroundings. He had been to many disheveled kingdoms before, but none as bad as this. Fallen buildings and houses everywhere. The villagers had muck all over their faces, their clothes were torn to shreds. The smell of burning trees surrounded them. Neal and Emma had told him that the Kingdom of Ambrosia was a dreadful place to reside, but he didn't believe them until now. Killian pulled Emma close to his side, not liking the greedy looks she was getting from carrying the basket of fresh bread. It was obvious that these people were starved. The princess didn't object to her pirate's protective action. Her magic sensed an evil presence. She hadn't been to Neal's kingdom since she was a very young girl. Last time she was there she saw King Rumple rip out a young boy's heart... After that visit, her parent's never let her travel anywhere else. Not that she blamed them. She was their soul heir to the throne and after seeing what she saw that day, maybe it was for the best.