Chapter 29

The next morning...

Emma opened her eyes slightly to see the sun had fully risen. She was surprised. Usually her mother would come and wake her before the sun had a chance to make its entrance. She sat up in bed, feeling well rested. Surly everyone else would be up right now, they were all early risers. The princess got out of bed and dressed in a simple black outfit and threw her black cape over it to stay warm. She said good morning to her guards and made her way to Killian's room to see how he was doing. A single guard stood at his door.

    "Is he awake?" Emma asked politely.

    "He was a few minutes ago ma'am." The guard responded, opening the door.

Emma walked in to see Killian in his bed. He had his eyes closed and his breathing was heavy. She knew he was asleep. She had to admit it was odd to see him asleep. He rarely slept, but never once did it affect him. He used to tell her true sailors never needed to sleep. But when he did sleep he was up with the sunrise, eager to start the day. So to see him asleep, with the sun shining bright in the sky, was definitely odd. Not that she minded, the princess wanted the captain to rest and heal.

Emma took a spot at the end of his bed, trying not to wake him. She stared at him, admiring his face. His dark hair hung in front of his closed eyes. His eyelashes were long enough to touch his cheeks. The scar on his right cheek became more visible with the light shining through the balcony onto his bed. His lips slightly red. Killian was now back into his normal black shirt, his outfit from the night before was covered in blood. He seemed to have stopped sweating and had no fever. He would make a full recovery.

    "Good morning love..." Killian grumbled, sleep in his voice.

    "Morning." Emma said with a smile, moving closer and placing her hand on his cheek.

    "Where is everyone else?" He asked, trying to sit up.

    "I don't know, I just woke up..." She responded, helping him sit up.

    "Bloody hell, what time is it?" Killian asked, knowing how late Emma could sleep in.

    "Late morning." The princess responded, a puzzled look on her face.

    "Half the day wasted already." He responded, getting out of bed.

    "Hey, take it easy..." Emma said worriedly.

    "Relax Swan. If there's one thing I'm good at it's surviving. And you only survive by living." He responded, trying to hide his pain.

    "I know, I know... why don't I have someone bring us breakfast and we can eat it in bed? Just like old times..." Emma said looking up at him with a smile he couldn't resist.

    "Won't your parents be upset?" He questioned, trying not to give in.

    "Maybe... but what's the worst that could happen?" She laughed.

    "I'm still trying to get into your father's good graces, darling." He responded, still unsure.

    "I feel like eating pancakes, what about you?" She asked, ignoring his last remark.

    "What the devil is a pancake?" He asked with a questioning look.

    "Breakfast." Emma laughed.

Soon enough plates full of food arrived into the room. Eggs, pancakes, fruit, toast, and orange juice. It was a bit too much but Emma didn't know what Killian would prefer since he's used to a sailor's breakfast. They ate on his bed, laughing and talking. Just like old times on the Jolly Roger. They joked about how Mr. Smee could no longer bang on their door and interrupt them, instead they had Emma's parents do that. Before they had a chance to get interrupted they stole a few kisses, enjoying their short intimate moment together, knowing it wouldn't last long.