Chapter 78

A few weeks later...

They were moments away from Emma's kingdom, and life was anything but calm. Every day was a fight to convince the Princess of Misthaven everything was fine back home and that Henry was merely a boy who was known to exaggerate. Even though that was far from the truth, Killian never dared to reveal all he knew. The captain was more scared than anything of what Emma would do when they reached Misthaven if she knew the truth. Would she confront her parents about the baby? Rumplestiltskin's deal? Her inevitable fate? Would she run to the Kingdom of Ambrosia and try to handle it herself? There was no telling what could happen, and even if he wanted to tell her everything, this was Snow and David's secret. This was their problem they dragged him into. It was their job to act like parents and tell her. They may be a very loved king and queen, but above all, they were parents to a strong-willed daughter who was now more suspicious than ever.

He would surely be in for an earful once Emma found out he knew, and there was no saying how that would affect their relationship, but all Killian knew was that he couldn't wait for it to all be over. You'd think he'd be dreading that moment. He may lose Emma forever. Whether it be to the fearful King of Ambrosia or because she no longer wanted to see him after the truth came out, but at least she would know everything. All those long conversations and those unshakeable feelings would be explained. All the whispering and prolonged stays would have better meaning.

Emma's way smarter than people gives her credit for. She is more than capable of figuring out the truth, and she's come close many times. She caught him on several occasions trying to write a letter to her parents to let them know they were on their way home. Luckily he was able to play it off as something else. Not to mention that making port to send the letter was a challenge in itself as she insisted on no unnecessary stops. The only thing that stops her is she's too god damn trusting. She trusts Killian to be upfront with her. To not treat her like a helpless princess. She truth her parents to bring her up to be an amazing queen. To keep her safe. She trusted Neal to be her best friend. The person whos suppose to always have your best interest at heart...

A lifetime of trust would soon be gone in a moment. It wasn't fair. If anyone deserved to live a long and happy life, it was Emma. She cared about everyone she met. She listened to everyone, tried her best to look at life through other people's eyes. She saw things in people that no one else even bothered to look for. She was the kindest person you could ever meet, but could also kick ass if needed too.

It wasn't fair that some tyrant wanted to kill Emma just for her magic. It wasn't fair her parents promised their second-born child over to the same imp knowing good and well their daughter would sacrifice herself for the baby. It wasn't fair that the one person Killian loved was fated to die regardless of which path she took. Whether she gave Rumple her magic or sacrificed herself to save her sibling, it ended the same way.

Every day the captain would steer his ship back to Misthaven and think of all the god awful things he wanted to say to Snow and David. How could they be so stupid and not tell Emma any of this? How could they treat her as nothing more than an object? This was their damn child. At the time, their only child. How could they sit in front of her every day and not feel an ounce of guilt? And this new baby one the way, had their fate sealed way before they were even conceived. They sentenced their baby to a life of torture with the King of Abrosia like it was nothing. Even if the King and Queen of Misthaven planned on never having another child, it was carless to promise their second-born over to someone like Rumplestiltskin... 

     It was now early evening and Killian sat at his desk in his dimly lit cabin, observing his maps. There were ways to make the trip quicker, there were ways to make the trip longer. Which path was worth it? He found it difficult to focus with all the thoughts running through his head. Sleep wasn't even an option anymore. Long days lead to even longer nights. He signed as he pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes, hoping for some relief. "Killian?" A soft voice called out.