Chapter 28

That same night... 

After singing happy birthday to Killian, the cake was distributed to everyone who desired a piece. Emma and Baelfire (Neal) stood near King David and Queen Snow as they all watched Killian talk with his crew. All of them had wide smiles, but none wider than Killian's. He had seemed to forget that this was their last night together before they all parted ways. Deep down Killian knew it was best to let the crew move on, but that didn't make it easier.

    "He looks so happy." Emma said out loud, in a general statement.

    "I'm glad we could do something nice for him." Snow responded with a smile.

    "For the record, I only did this for Emma." David said, crossing his arms.

    "Ah, Prince Charming doesn't like the pirate?" Neal teased.

    "Please he didn't even like you when we dated." Emma responded with a grin.

    "No one will ever be good enough for daddy's girl." Neal continued to tease, elbowing Emma.

The King took his Queen to dance leaving Emma and Neal standing there. The two of them stood there in a comfortable silence just watching the crowd. Neither of them were too fond of dancing, one of the few things they had in common... The princess found her pirate now talking amongst the commoners. Everyone in Misthaven was naturally friendly, but many kept to themselves when it came to more conflicting people, like Killian Jones. This made her smile, knowing that it made her kingdom feel better about her lover and it also gave Killian an ego boost he desperately needed. His crew retired for the night, they all had an early morning but stayed as long as they could to bid him a final farewell...

Many people had talked to Killian, perhaps wishing him a happy birthday or just being friendly. But there was one tall thin man that gave Emma an uneasy feeling as she watched him approach her captain...

    "Do you know who that man is? The one talking to Killian?" Emma asked Neal.

    "Um, no. I've never seen him." Neal responded, not thinking too much into it.

    "He must be new to the kingdom, I've never seen him." She responded suspiciously.

    "Misthaven is pretty big, you couldn't possibly know everyone that lives here." He responded in a laugh.

    "Of course I do... If I'm to be queen one day, it's my job to know who lives here." The princess responded in a serious tone, watching the man's every move.

    "Maybe he's from another kingdom, visiting." Neal responded, not seeing any reason to be concerned.

    "I doubt it... The ball was announced a week ago. No one could have traveled that fast here. The last ship that arrived with new people was the one you were on a few weeks ago. I should introduce myself." Emma responded.

    "Just leave it alone Emma. Let the pirate have his moment of glory." He said, grabbing her arm before she could walk off.

    "You're right, I'm just being paranoid..." The princess said, turning around.

Out of nowhere, there was an ear-piercing loud scream. Everyone turned to the source of the sound in a panic to find the tall thin man with a dagger stabbing no one other than the captain... Bloodstained Killian's outfit quickly and he began to fall to the ground from pain. His face broke out in a quick sweat, the color slowly leaving his face. He didn't even bother to fight back. Many of the other guests retreated from the scene out of fear...

    "Stop!" Emma shouted, even though it didn't make a difference.

The unknown man kneeled down to Killian, whispering something into his ear no one could hear. The man raised the dagger to Killian's throat, slightly breaking the skin, ready to end his pain. Emma continued to scream as tears streamed down her face. She was being held back by Neal who was trying to protect her... And just as she yelled her final "stop" she raised her hand and out of nowhere a blast of glowing white power shot through her hand, striking the man, knocking him unconscious... Magic.