Chapter 23

Later that evening...

It was now dinner time and Emma, Snow, Prince Charming, and Killian were all seated at a large table waiting for their meal. Throughout the day Killian remained silent, still upset with Emma about ignoring him. However, he was more mad at himself for letting jealousy consume him. He was the one dating the princess, not August or Neal.

Emma had changed back into a more princess-like outfit. A loose red dress and her hair was down with some braids going through. She looked like an angel. Killian remained in the clothes he had, no one offered him anything and he wasn't going to ask.

    "The chef is preparing lamb tonight, I can ask for something else if you would like." Emma said softly to Killian, who was sitting next to her.

    "Lamb will be fine." Killian replied quickly.

    "Are you alright?" She asked him.

    "I'm wonderful." He responded, almost annoyed.

Emma was taken back by his actions. What could he possibly be upset about? Did she do anything in the short time that they've been here? He's been nothing but quiet since they've left the ship and Emma wanted him to have time to himself to adjust to the situation. Perhaps it was all too much for him, she knew how overwhelming it could be.

    "How about you and I go for a walk through the palace garden after dinner?" Emma asked in a happy tone.

    "Whatever you want darling." Killian responded, trying to compose his frustration.

    "Oh, Emma, I was hoping I could talk to you about your welcome home ball after dinner." Snow interjected.

    "Mother, we don't need to throw a ball for everything." The princess responded, opposed to the idea.

    "Then consider it a ball for the captain and his crew... Like a welcome to the kingdom ball." Snow suggested.

    "I rather throw a ball for my daughter than pirates, Snow." David said.

    "The ball is for all of them. It's a great opportunity for everyone to see them and not be scared." Snow responded to her husband.

    "Well what does he think?" David asked, referring to Killian.

    "If the Queen wishes to throw my crew and I a ball, it would be bad form to decline such a nice gesture." He responded, unsure of what the right answer was.

    "Perfect! Emma, I need you to come with me after dinner to discuss the dress you'll be wearing." Snow responded.

    "But mom, Killian and I were going to go for a walk around the castle." She responded like a child.

    "There will be plenty of time after for all that." She responded, ending the conversation.

Killian was kind of glad Emma would be preoccupied with other things. It was a selfish thought but it would give him time to compose himself and a chance to catch his breath. Everyone in the castle had been nice to him, but now he finally understood what Emma meant by it being too much. There was always someone asking if you needed something, if they could bring you something. Sometimes they even showed up with drinks or food without being asked. They had hardly been alone since they left the dock that morning. Emma was always busy talking to someone or being informed of something happening around the castle or within the kingdom. She couldn't leave the castle without permission at times. No wonder she wanted to leave this place. It was lovely, but constricting. Something Killian was not used to. He spent the majority of his life traveling anywhere he pleased and doing as he wished. This was no place for a pirate.

Dinner was uneventful. Emma was quiet, most likely upset she couldn't spend time with Killian. She was back to her royal duties. Killian finally let go of his own emotions after seeing how upset the princess was. Here he was being sulky over nothing when his love needed him most. The king and queen talked amongst themselves. Mostly about some of the people in the kingdom, how they need to make a journey into the village soon, and even the ball that would be at the end of the week...

After dinner, Emma and Snow went off into a fitting room to try on dresses while Killian was left alone with David who was tending to an issue reported in the forest.

    "Oh Emma isn't this one lovely?" Snow asked her daughter, referring to a red ball gown dress she was wearing.

    "Yes, mother. It is. Can I go now?" She responded, fed up with her mother.

    "Not yet! There are a few more..." Snow trailed off.

Meanwhile in the forest...

    "So Emma has informed me you were once a shepherd." Killian said, trying to make conversation.

    "Yes... and?" David asked, suspicious.

    "Just trying to make conversation..." Killian responded nervously.

    "Don't think just because Emma likes you means I have to like you." The king responded in a stern tone.

    "I wouldn't dream of it mate." Killian responded sarcastically.

    "I'm not your mate." The king responded walking off.

They stopped to take a rest, not finding any issues as reported. A small fire was made to keep them warm against the night's cold temperatures.

     "Look, why don't you get out of here for a bit. Go down to the stables and get a horse. Go for a ride or something." David suggested, in a friendly tone.

    "It's probably best if I wait for Emma, she wouldn't like me to wander off without any notice." He responded to the king.

    "Yeah... she's always been like that. I can tell her. Maybe it'll help her get out of the dress fitting." David responded.

    "Are you just trying to get rid of me?" Killian asked, he was the suspicious one now.

    "Perhaps. But Emma was right. My actions were out of line today and I apologize. Misthaven is a place of forgiveness and second chances and you can't move on if someone is constantly reminding you of the past. " The king responded.

    "Well, I accept. I know you want better for Emma, and I'm prepared to become the man she deserves." He responded, fully honest.

    "I'll hold you to it. Now get out of here, I'll go tell Emma once I finish up here." David responded, getting up from the fire.

Killian made his way back to the castle, the king still in the forest, making one last patrol. After a few minutes of searching he found the stables. Many horses were there, each with a name and their jobs. He decided to leave the carriage and knight horses alone in case they were needed. In the back he found three horses with just their names, these had no jobs. He found it odd but assumed maybe they were too old to pull a carriage or perhaps they were just extra horses if one fell ill. After pondering the thought he picked an all black one who had odd patches of white named Storm. It was an older horse but Killian saw in his eyes he was desperate for a run just as he was. He quickly dressed the horse in its saddle and reigns and then they were off...

Meanwhile Emma was still trying on dresses. She was on the last one for the night. By now she wasn't even giving her opinion anymore, she just let her mother and some of the maids make comments. She just wanted to leave and find Killian, but by now she probably wouldn't get the chance to have a walk with him. It was late and she was tired. Her father came in later and explained that Killian was out riding a horse, but Emma was not to go. It was too late and too dark for her to go riding alone. So that night she went to her old room, dressed in her nightgown and waited on the balcony to see when Killian would return. She waited for what seemed like hours and he was never seen. Maybe she missed him. She was exhausted, but she knew he could take care of himself. The princess went to bed alone, missing the feeling of his warm body pressed against hers.