Chapter 39

It was the next day, the day of the ball and the castle was once again in chaos. Servants ran up and down the halls carrying dishes and decorations to the ballroom. It felt as if everyone in the castle was talking at the same time, no one could hear themselves think. The King and Queen spend the majority of the day in the ballroom, making sure everything was perfect for their daughter. Not that Emma cared too much about the ball. She had one every year for her birthday. The same people came, they ate the same cake, she gets the same gifts and then the night is over. Don't get her wrong, she thought balls were magical, but it seems like they have one practically every night. The magic started to go away, she craved something more than this simple life where everything was handed to her... Soon her life would be an adventure, on the Jolly Roger, with Killian.

Emma thought of how the night would play out as she stared out of her balcony window, watching the waves crash against the rocks that held the castle up. She planned to dance with all her friends for the last time, hug Henry as tight as she could, thank August for taking care of her, have one last laugh with Neal, say goodbye to her mother's friends who always looked out for her, and to enjoy one final moment with her parents...

    There was a knock on the Princess's door, "You may enter." Emma said.

    August entered the room with a sad expression on his face, "Hello, Princess."

    Emma smiled, "You know you can call me Emma." He didn't respond, but tried to fake a smile, "What's wrong?" Emma asked as her smile disappeared.

    "There is a situation..." August said vaguely.

    "You know I hate when people aren't upfront with me." She said with a straight face.

    August took a deep breath, "The ship to take me to see our alliances arrived early this morning."

    The Princess was confused, "So?"

    "I have to leave, now." He responded, looking down.

    Emma's face said it all, she was upset, "No! You always go to my ball, and we always eat cake together and-"

    "I'm sorry Em..." August interrupted, "If I could stay, you know I would."

    "Why can't you?" Emma asked, tears forming in her eyes.

    August took a deep breath, trying to compose himself, "You know the kingdom's docks are small. We don't get many ships, this day is the day when the docks are packed with visitors."

    "And?" Emma yelled in denial.

    "Killian's ship already takes up two spots and the ship I need to be on is taking up another." He responded quickly, "We can't move him anywhere else, so I offered to leave early."

    "Why would you do that?" Emma said with tears running down her face.

    "What else was I supposed to do?" August responded in a yell, "It was either Killian took his ship out to sea and miss the ball or me. And we all know you want him there more than anyone else." He said, the last part in a whisper.

    The last part took the Princess by surprise, "August, I know I spend a lot of time with him but that doesn't make you any less important to me." She said, frazzled, "I'm sure I can talk to my parents and we can work something out and-"

    "Em, I want to go." He said quickly, making Emma pause, "Look, I loved taking care of you when you were younger, but you're all grown up now." August explained in a soft tone, "You don't need me anymore, my papa doesn't need me anymore and... I liked the journey last year."