Chapter 6

Above deck, on the Jolly Roger that same night...

Emma was looking over the side of the Jolly Roger watching the waves crash against the wooden ship, the salty water splashing her face ever so slightly. She inhaled the smell of the ocean, finding it calming as she looked up to the moon shining brighter than she had ever seen.

Behind her were the crew members having their own fun playing card games and drinking rum, they were loud but Emma didn't mind. She enjoyed seeing this side of them, the side that wasn't trying to kill her or her people... It reminded her that they were still people too, and just as she had her royal duties they had duties to do what their Captain commanded.

"It's calming, isn't it?" Captain Jones asked the princess from behind.

"Yes it is... I've always been fond of the sea." Emma said, not breaking her glace from the ocean.

"I've spent my entire life at sea and I never get tired of the view." He responded, trying to see what she was looking at.

"Hm... you're lucky. I've only ever known my Kingdom's boundaries." Emma said, finally looking at Killian.

"And being Snow White and Prince Charmings daughter isn't great? Let alone ruling an entire kingdom?" He said, not meaning to have an attitude in his voice.

He wasn't wrong. What did she have to complain about? She was her parents' pride and joy regardless of her being her kingdom's future ruler. She had maids, servants, guards, knights, August, and an entire kingdom that supported her and adored her... She had everything.

"This was my first journey away from home... I was going to visit my Kingdom's alliances. It's a yearly tradition." Emma said, not knowing why she was telling him this.

"I don't understand... Why would your parents let you journey alone? I mean you are their only child." The captain said, trying to figure her out.

"I had just turned 18, I begged them to let me do this. They wanted to come, but I wanted to prove to them that I was capable of being the queen they hoped I would one day be... that they didn't need to worry about me. I wanted to show the Kingdom I could do my duties without help from my parents." Emma said, more trying to convince herself than him.

"Are you sure you weren't just trying to prove that to yourself?" Killian questioned, inches from her face.

For a moment Emma got lost in his memorizing eyes, finding he had pain in them as well. He didn't seem so fearsome now... he was easy to talk to and he read her so well. Only in a day everything she knew about pirates, about Killian Jones, seemed wrong. She knew he had his own story to tell and she so desperately wanted to know...

"Aye, Captain! It's time for the duels!" A slender crew member shouted with a drunken smile, causing them to break their gaze from each other.

"Oh, you filthy lads don't stand a chance!" Captain Jones chuckled, not minding that he ruined the moment between him and the princess.

Killian went over to the barrel of sword they always had on deck and picked his weapon. A lightweight sword with a thin black handle.

"Who dares fight the fearsome Captain Jones?" Killian asked, laughter in his voice.

"I'll be the brave soul tonight, mates." A drunk overweight man said.

Emma noticed it was the man that pinned August to the floor earlier that day.

"Alright James." The Captain said with a grin.

Emma watched as the men clashed swords. James who was drunk had terrible form, his arms were jello, his feet all over the place. Emma knew this match wouldn't last long. Surprisingly though he blocked many of the Captain's shots high and low. Then James made a stupid, stupid mistake and took his eyes off his opponent's blad to look around. Killian wasted no time, he took advantage of his careless error and disarmed James, his sword hit the ground. A breath of defeat came out of James's mouth.