Chapter 38

Later at the tavern... 

Emma sat at the furthest table in the back, staring out the tavern's window. The Princess had changed out of her fancy dress and into a more comfortable outfit with a hood to hide her face. Even with her face hidden, Killian knew she was upset, but he wasn't sure what she could possibly be upset about.

Killian took a sip of his rum, then cleared this throat, "Love, if you don't want to be seen here then we can leave."

Emma placed her mug of rum on the table, "No no, I'm fine." she responded in a soft tone.

"Then why have you been so quiet?" The pirate blurted out, "Why are you hiding your face in your own bloody kingdom?" He continued on, growing more frustrated.

Emma didn't respond but she could clearly see how mad Killian was getting. His face went straight as his eyes moved back and forth, lost in thought, "Of course... the perfect princess doesn't want to be seen out with a dreadful pirate." With that irrational thought in his mind, Killian got up and left, leaving Emma sitting there by herself.

Even though the Princess felt her lover's outburst was unnecessary, she felt he had every right to be upset. Killian had taken her out of the castle for one last night of fun before they would be out to sea for months again. One last night of fun before she would be in endless magic training. Surely he had more planned than just a few drinks at the old tavern, but now she may never know what else he had in store. Emma got up from the table and went after her pirate, if they're gonna spend months on the Jolly Roger alone they would need to learn to communicate.

Killian had already made his way onto his ship, the only place he ever felt at home. He stood on deck looking out to sea, finding himself lost in thought. The pirate loved his life at the castle with Emma and her parents. They were nothing but kind, giving him a large room with the perfect view of the sea and even giving him his own servants, but nothing could beat living on the Jolly Roger. The Captain also knew his outburst towards Emma was wrong. His temper was short and everyone knew it, but that was no excuse to further upset the love of his life.

Killian heard small footsteps from behind him and turned around, "Emma." He said. And for the first time he saw her face, wet from tears, cheeks bright red with watery eyes. She had been crying. That's why she was wearing her hood and sat in the back of the tavern. Not out of embarrassment to be seen with him, but so no one in the Kingdom would see their beloved Princess in tears... Killian let out a defeated breath, "I'm so sorry, love."

    Emma wiped her wet face with a sniffle, "I'm sorry too."

"You have nothing to be sorry for." He responded quickly, approaching her.

The Princess shook her head, "No, sometimes I forget how it must make you feel when I do stuff like that." She paused, "I never want you to think that I'm ashamed to be seen with you, because I'm not. I love you."

"I know... I love you too." Killian replied, "I'm sorry I snapped at you. I know you would never act ashamed around me, but sometimes I'm ashamed to be me and-"

"Hey, that's all in the past." Emma said, cutting him off. "Whatever you did, you're not that person anymore." She continued on.

The Captain smiled, "Aye."

Killian pulled Emma in for a tight hug, something they both seemed to need. The Princess rested her head on Killian's chest, listening to his steady heartbeat. It was one of her favorite sounds. She closed her eyes to savor the moment and Killian just held her and stared at her castle in the distance. He didn't forget that she was upset but he was slowly starting to figure out why she might be upset.