Chapter 21

It almost seemed as if everyone from the kingdom had gathered around the docks. They had the smallest docks in any kingdom, not many people traveled their waters. The only ships that ever came were royal ships, merchant ships and maybe a few common boats from the villagers who liked to fish. But this was far too many people at the docks for a typical day, they must have seen the Jolly Roger in the distance and knew she was coming home. They were all there to welcome home the princess who had been gone for nearly a year. This scenery made Emma realize that her duty was to her people, her people who were so willing to forgive her absence. Guilt consumed her, she should have been here instead of traveling the sea with pirates...

"Her majesty has returned!"

"Princess Emma, welcome home!"

"You were missed dearly, princess!"

"My how you've grown!"

"Beautiful as ever, ma'am!"

Those were all the comments she heard as she made her way down the dock, alone. Killian wanted to give her a few minutes alone with her parents, but she couldn't even find them in the storm of people, perhaps they were waiting in the castle for her to arrive. Emma plastered the best smile she could on her face, yes she was glad to be home, but this was overwhelming. The loud voices asking her questions, the crowd surrounding her, her guilt of being away. It was all too much.

Out of nowhere someone grabbed her arm, she was startled. No one in the kingdom was supposed to lay a hand on her, let alone grab her. She was in too much of a panic to fight back...

"Emma! My gods how I've missed you!" Said the voice.

"August!" She said with a smile, finally recognizing the man.

Relieved she hugged him tight, for a moment she felt sane in all the madness. The princess was glad to see he served no punishment for her abduction. More guilt consumed her as she realized his journey to the kingdoms ended months ago, the journey she was responsible for. Once he returned home, she should have too. But no, she spent another few months traveling the sea while he and everyone else was worried about her.

"Make way for the King and Queen!" Said one of her knights.

Once a path was made Emma saw her royal carriage approach and out came her parents. They were dressed in their more simple clothing. She assumed they were going to wait for her to make her way to the castle but then the crowd held her up. Her parents came to her rescue once again.

"Oh, my darling!" Snow trembled as she made her way over to Emma, embracing her in a hug.

Emma didn't pull back, she leaned in, missing the feeling of her mother's arms wrapped around her. All those nights of wishing she had her mother to cry to would finally be over. They both had slightly watery eyes as they continued to hug each other tighter than they thought was possible.

"My princess." Charming said almost in a whisper as he watched Snow and Emma, his girls.

"Daddy..." Emma responded, releasing her mother and running to her father.

She jumped into his arms as if she was still a little girl. The princess held her father tightly, this time letting the tears fall. No one knew the bond she had with her father. It was a strong one. He was always there for her, from teaching her to walk to sword fighting. He was her best friend. As much as she loved her mother, her father had a special place in her heart. She could share anything with him and he would always have a piece of advice ready to share. While her mother was a tad more strict with her presenting herself as a princess, her father would show her what it was like to have actual fun.