Chapter 70

One week later...

It was currently night time and Emma, Killian, and the crew were back out at sea, on their way to Misthaven... After a long tearful goodbye to everyone in Arendelle, Emma felt a weight lift off her shoulders. One she didn't know she had. Perhaps she felt like a burden to Elsa and Anna while there, but deep down she knew that was far from true.

During the heartfelt goodbye, Anna revealed she would miss Emma and her captain dearly. The Princess of Arendelle explained that even though she had her sister and loving fiance to talk to, she felt lonely when they were off taking care of their responsibilities. A feeling she often tried to avoid, considering her childhood was filled with nothing but loneliness. Emma had to admit, it broke her heart to hear that because despite how much Anna would've loved them to stay longer, she pushed them to leave and return home where they would surely be needed. But that was Anna for you. She may be over-talkative and shared way too much, but she always wanted her friends, family, and kingdom to be happy. Even if it sacrificed her own.

Elsa remained neutral as always and told the departing couple to remain patient with one another as well as themselves. She hugged Emma like it was the last time she'd ever see her and it raised suspicion within Emma, but the Princess of Misthaven didn't want to ruin their goodbye and ignored the feeling.

And even though Killian would never admit it, everyone knew the stoned-faced captain was sad to leave his friend, Kristoff. The two men quickly became close and spent many days together completing each other's errands. Emma loved how patient the reindeer man was towards her testy captain. Killian needed a friend other than her and his crew, and she thought Kristoff was that person for him...

All those thoughts piled into Emma's head as she laid awake in the bed of the captain's quarters, trying to fall asleep as Killian was in the other room looking at a bunch of maps. She reflected on how much they gave up when leaving Arendelle... Good friends, a kind kingdom, and above all an unforgettable experience... but decided to look for the positive. They were off on a new adventure. Traveling home would take some time, especially since Killian decided to take a longer route home. She didn't bother asking him why the trip home was extended, her parents advised her to see as much of the world as possible and Killian was only granting their wishes. Each port provided a new memory as well as many days on the ship with the crew. She would miss her friends in Arendelle but knew it was time to go...

Unable to fall asleep, Emma got out of bed and headed for the door. Just on the other side was Killian sitting at his desk with his face buried in a map, still checking their course. She didn't bother to say anything. The princess enjoyed seeing him in his natural state, finally having a greater purpose than being her bodyguard. His hair disheveled from him constantly running his finger through them, his eyes darting back and forth looking at his scribbles on the page, his hand rubbing the stubble on his chin as he was thinking. Emma thought he looked as handsome as ever as the dimly lit lantern glowed on his face.

The captain looked up to find his favorite princess leaning against the door frame, dressed in nothing but his signature black blouse, "Am I keeping you up?" He asked with his smile.

"No." Emma laughed. He was always concerned about her, "How much longer will you be?" She asked a little more serious as she walked over and took a seat on his lap.

"You alright?" He asked placing a comforting arm around her waist.

The princess leaned into his comforting embrace, inhaling a strong smell of salt and rum, "I'm alright." She reassured, "I just have so many thoughts running through my mind."

"Care to share?" He pushed gently.

Emma scrunched her face. She had a lot of rising questions as they sailed the sea. She had plenty of time to clear her mind and reflect, and she was starting to become suspicious of a lot. "Don't you find it odd that my parents haven't asked me to return home? Nor have I heard from Henry in ages." She stated.