Chapter 41

The entire week has been bearable for her. Finally getting a hang of how everything works in the office, learning the dos and don'ts, adapting to the new environment and so much more. She has no problem fitting in, considering there are many other internship students around to keep her company. It has been great. But not until she got a call from Dr Kim.

Rushing straight towards the hospital, the first person she saw is Dr Kim standing at the door of Haneul's room. He gave her a weak smile before gesturing to go into the room and managed to mention her mother is already here.

"My mother?"

"Yes, she arrived a few minutes ago. Haneul is unconscious but I think it should be okay for you to see her", Dr Kim pats her shoulder softly. "I'll be back, okay?"

When Dr Kim called her 30 minutes ago informing her there was another complication with Haneul's health and she collapsed mid-way treatment, Haru dropped everything and rushed to the hospital. She texted Taehyung about it and he said he will go to her once his meeting ends. He asked her to text him once she reaches the hospital but when she learned her mother is here, everything goes blank.

They never bumped into each other at the hospital and she always made sure of it. Talking to her mother is the last thing she has in mind. Their last encounter was that night when her mother suddenly called for her and acted like she cares about her wellbeing.

"Oh god", she pressed the side of her face, debating if she should put aside all her hatred for a while and just go inside.

She slides the wooden door open slowly, making least noise possible and peeks. Her mother is seated at the chair beside the bed, eyes glued to Haneul as her hands clasped together on her chest. She looks genuinely worried and Haru wondered if her mother ever felt the same way towards her. Probably not. But this is not the time to be thinking about it.

The sound of the door made her mother looks up, surprised to see Haru there. She gets to her feet, awkwardly offering her a smile on which Haru did not even care to return.

"Haru-ssi"

"I am here to see Haneul. Not to talk to you"

Haru couldn't help but to say that despite knowing how her words might have been a tad too harsh on her mother. But her feelings are all over the place right now and she has no energy to be nice. Heading towards the bed, her heart sank at the sight of Haneul looking completely pale and weak. This has been her utmost fear and she doubts she is ever ready to accept it.

She knows the possibilities of Haneul surviving this stage is unlikely possible. But a little part of her prays a miracle might happen and she gets to live on.

"Dr Kim said she collapsed suddenly", her mother turns to Haneul, her hand gently caressing Haneul's arm. "And he doesn't know—I mean, you know what he means".

"I do"

An uncomfortable silence falls upon them, creating such a heavy tension in the room. Haru continues pretending as if her mother is not in the room while her mother sits there, half in guilt half in fear. There is just too much unspoken things and unresolved conflicts between them.

Seeing the way Haru ignores her sure breaks her heart but she is in no place to blame her for doing so. But nevertheless, she needs to talk to her. She promised herself to talk to her about Haneul whenever she gets the chance to do so. Thus, right now could be the only time to do so.

"Har—"

The slow knock on the door made both of them turn to the door, watching as it slides open and Taehyung walks in. He looks surprised to see Haru's mother but then he quickly greets them with a low whisper, bowing to the mother before turning to Haru.