Chapter 47

Areum stares at her mother, one eyebrow raised as her hand grips on her mug tightly in her hands looking very much stunned at the question she just asked. Clearing her throat, she takes on long breath before settling her mug back on the table and crossed her arms.

"You want to....what?"

"I want to know about that man—Kim Taehyung", she coos happily. "And I really want to know about her friends too. I missed out a lot—I want to fix this"

Areum lets out another sigh, pressing her lips together at the doubts stirring at the back of her head. She knows her mother's intention is good; to fix the problem and start over , but what she failed to see is the fact that Haru needs time to process everything. It was just about a week ago when she found out about Haneul but then, in a blink of an eye, she lost her. Things might be a little bit better if everything has been peaceful from the beginning but what is life without some twisted drama, isn't it?

"Mother, I don't think she would want to bring her boyfriend home. Not like this, and not now"

"That's the thing", her mother's face dropped immediately, realizing how impossible it sounds. "But, I just want to know about her people who make her happy—she looks happier"

A weak smile appears at the corner of Areum's lips, heart softens at the genuine intent of her mother. They had talked about this many times after their last meeting with Haru during the funeral and every single time ended with her mother desperately hoping her youngest daughter will eventually forgive her.

"I think all she needs is time. We did her wrong by hiding a lot of things from her"

"I know"

"Give her more time, okay?", she assured her mother. "She just lost Haneul and she is very busy with her internship. Let's do what we can for now and give her the space"

Her mother nods as she relaxes on the chair, tracing the hem of her long skirt as her eyes shifts to look at Areum. "What about you and that handsome doctor?"

"Handsome doctor....you mean Dr Kim?"

"Yes, who else", she smirks knowingly, squinting her eyes. "Or you're going to give me another excuse saying you respect him too much to even have romantic feelings towards him?"

"Mother—"

"He looks sweet"

"Okay no—"

"Maybe I should focus on your for now", she lets out a light chuckle, enjoying Areum's panic reaction. "Come on, Areum-ssi, you have been working too hard and you have yet to settle down. Are you planning to just work and not see anyone?"

"First, yes, I do respect Dr Kim. Second, romantic feelings do not come easy. And third, what's wrong with me focusing on work and my family? I have been away from all of you far too long"

Her mother stares at her daughter, a sudden worry swimming into her veins as she sees the reflection of herself in her. Areum is just like her ; diligent, very focused and committed to her job, and she will not stop until she gets what she wants. And what she really wants changes every time she achieved milestone after milestone. But knowing Areum is slowly becoming like her—it is worrying her.

"Areum-ssi, you know, I worked too hard as well when I was young. I worked very very hard to the point I forgot I am living as a human first, a person with a job second. I thought working hard was all I needed to do to feel satisfied. I did not date, I did not let myself to be indulged with silly things I thought was useless. I kept my objectives fixed and never looked anywhere else"