Chapter 15

"Why are you so stubborn when it comes to this?"

Haru controls her voice, not wanting to unintentionally burst at Jiwoo. She forced Jiwoo to sleep over her house that night, wanting to sort things out. After the incident at her house last two weeks, they have not gotten any spare time to properly resolve the issue. But tonight, Haru wanted to set things straight and talk about it again with her.

"I can't", Jiwoo sighs as she curls herself on the big couch, wrapping her hands around her knees. "I am scared, Haru, I truly am"

"But you need to stop this"

"I know", she looks down, unable to meet Haru's upset eyes. "I talked to my mom about this that night, but she is scared. My father has connections—power—everything. People has no idea about this side of him. My mother is scared people would assume she is stirring up rumours about my father instead"

Haru puts the mug she was holding on the coffee table and moves closer to her friend. She looks at her, regretful eyes taking in the timidness of her friend's appearance seated on her big couch. She understands the fear Jiwoo and her mother have about the whole situation, but she had enough. This outrageous episodes of her father lashing on them while he puts an act by looking respectable in the public eye needs to come an end. It needs to stop right now.

"Jiwoo", she takes her hands. "Please, you need to do something. Convince your mom. Do it for your sake and hers too"

"Haru", she sobs a little as her voice shakes. "I really want my mother to do something"

"I know you do"

"Should I try again?", her eyes teary as she breathes in deeply. "Convincing her?"

"Bae Jiwoo, listen to me", Haru speaks firmly this time. "I know you have tried your best to convince about this to your mom. But you know, Mister Kim's friend has done a background check remember? He has a record. I think he knows what to do and he can help your mom. He can help your family. Please, promise me you do whatever it takes to report your father"

Jiwoo stays quiet, holding in her tears.

"I know you have tried a lot of things. But do not stop trying. Your dad deserves to be punished for all the things he has done to you and your mother. Your mom needs to find the best lawyer that will support her, the best one she can ever fine. I know your mother can. She is strong. But you need to convince her to do so. Being afraid of getting your rights means losing your chances to live better. Do it. For you, for your mother, and for me."

-

2 WEEKS LATER

Swamped with endless deadlines, juggling between one subject and another, losing sleep and depending on endless cups of coffee, Haru and Jiwoo can barely breathe by the end of the submission week. It has been so tough on them, not even getting a good night sleep as they finish up the remaining works to be submitted. When they are finally done, they reward themselves by doing nothing but eating and watching movies at Haru's house.

"Did your mom say anything?"

Jiwoo turns to her friend, seeing the look of hope in her eyes. Haru has been bugging and pushing her to convince her mother to take this matter to the authorities and actually fight for their rights. She understands Haru wants nothing but for her to be happy. She hopes to give her a peace of mind soon too.

"Remember I told you my mother planned to contact her friend? A divorce lawyer? She finally met her and I think she is progressing. She texted me a few minutes ago about it—"