Chapter 54

"Look the thing is, he is a doctor and I am just a mere office worker"

Haru stops midway cutting her steak, looking up at her sister seated across the small table of the restaurant looking all dreadful as she deadpans at her own plate of carbonara. The topic of her and Taehyung's brother, Dr Kim, has been at the tip of the tongue ever since Areum told her about the flowers she sent to to Dr Kim. Thus, she needed to have this conversation with her.

"Excuse me, a mere office worker? I mean, even if you consider yourself a mere office worker—which you are not—what does that fact got to do with you and Dr Kim?"

Areum sighs heavily, lips pouting outwardly as she scoops a mouthful of pasta and gobble it in one go before finally meeting Haru's eyes. "I mean, I am thinking about me going after him and I bet he has a lot of beautiful doctors lining up for him. Look at him? Now, look at me?"

She gestures at her appearance before dapping the corners of her mouth with a piece of tissue and proceeds to take one long sip of her ice lemon tea before she finally, melts into the chair with another sigh.

"What's with you and this lack of confidence out of nowhere?"

"I don't know"

Haru studies Areum's face, confused herself at the sudden change of the mood. Just a while ago her sister was all over the clouds, complimenting Dr Kim's sweet gesture of texting her to thank for the flowers and his undeniably chivalry of wanting to treat her for a lunch or dinner anytime soon. But suddenly, everything took 180 degrees turn when she talks about feelings. Her feelings.

Areum has always been confident, and power breathes out of her every pore. She is strong, always head-on, and never the one to accept defeat. She applied this wisdom all through her years of studies, and now, in her job. People can take one quick look at her and they will understand how and why she succeeds so greatly in life.

But what people fail to see is her inability to convey emotions when it comes to deeper feelings that involves the opposite gender. Failing relationships are common to her and she defines herself as someone who does not need anyone. Nevertheless, it does not stop her from going to dates, meeting people and possibly, indulging herself in relationships every now and then but sadly, none of them lasted long.

It could be her, or it could be the other party, but the thing is, her relationship never lasted.

"My relationships with all my exes never lasted, so I don't want Dr Kim to be just another failed one—he is too precious for that"

"Don't look at that part yet", Haru puts her fork and knife down, clasping both hands together on the table, eyes looking straight at her sister. "You need to get to know him, you know. He looks like a decent man, maybe a little shy, but I don't see any reason for you both to be running in different circles while it is too damn obvious you guys are attracted to each other. Relationship or no, put that aside. You need to get to know him first"

Areum lets out a long hum at her sister's words, nodding weakly as she makes sense of everything in her head. She might be looking into this matter too deeply when she is supposed to just go with it and see where it leads her. Maybe what she needs to do is just be brave and not ponder on things that have not happened yet.

"Do you think he will like it if I ask him out for dinner? And a movie?"

"Geez, come on, he loves movies. He loves cooking too. Invite him over already, what's the haste?"