Chapter 45

The soft knock on the wooden door of the hospital room made Dasom looks up from the book she has been reading, watching as Areum walks in with a sullen expression on her face. She gave her daughter a weak nod as she puts the book aside to give her a long warm hug.

"I am sorry", Areum hugs her mother, knowing she needs some strength. "My initial flight got cancelled so I had to find another one"

"It is okay", Dasom brushes her hair gently, smiling at her. "Did you come here straight from the airport?"

She nods before turning to look at the weak body lying on the white bed. "She has been unconscious?"

"Yes", Dasom sighs again, pressing on the plastic board at the end of the bed. "Dr Kim tried so many things and...there....I don't know"

"Is father here?"

"He is. He has been here since two nights ago"

"What? Did he clear his schedule too?", Areum looks surprised. "Wait, did you two..."

"We did what we were supposed to do in the first place. I passed all responsibilities to my second in-command and I will not leave till....well, till I have to. Or maybe, till Haneul wakes up"

Both of them falls into an eerie silence, the beeping sounds of Haneul's heart monitor echoes in the quiet room. The beeping sounds slowly feels distant as the two of them stares into space while facing Haneul, flashes of what has happened and what might happen appear before them. Nothing is known about what is coming for them and that makes everything even worse.

There are just too many things happening right now but the two that matter the most ; Haneul fighting for her dear life and Haru's resentment towards them. In their heads, they know the latter wouldn't have happened if only they thought about Haru's feelings. They did, unfortunately, but things just had to go wrong because they made a mistake of thinking things would be better untold.

The sound of Seo Jaeha's deep cough, the father, struck them out of their heavy thoughts, both turning to the door to see him smiling weakly at them. Areum went straight into his arms, offering and accepting comfort from each other. He hugs Areum tightly as his eyes searches for her wife's, shaking his head knowingly as if answering the question she had in mind.

He had left the room to talk to Dr Kim about Haneul's condition. Even he had known the answer to his answer, he still had to hear it from Dr Kim.

Haneul will not make it

Areum sense the strange tension between her parents, making her look up at her father and then she follows his eyes. Her mother's eyes look glassy, trembling lips holding in her urge to break into tears and she knows that too well. She turns to her father again, curious eyes searching for answers.

"I am sorry, Areum", he pressed her head onto his chest, gently stroking the back of her head . "I am sorry"

-

Haru stands in front of the wooden door, one hand clutching on the plastic bag filled with some food and drinks she bought on her way to the hospital. Areum had texted her many times the entire day when she was at work, but she didn't manage to spare her a reply. Taehyung offered to drive her there, but she rejected it and said he should have some time for himself.

Taehyung has been there for her since day one and she really could not thank him enough. As much as she would prefer him close to her, he deserved some time to take care of himself instead of watching over her all the time. Despite him being cutely mad about her wanting him to do something for himself and not let him be with her the whole time, she insisted that he goes out and have some drinks with his friends.