Chapter 24

It could have been minutes, or it could have been hours, but she lost track of time, or perhaps, of everything. Seated at the empty cold wooden bench at the rooftop, Haru finds herself staring at the breath-taking view from 15th floor. The orange sun is setting, infusing hues of red and purple in the sky, like an oil painting on a canvas. The late evening cold air graces her, making her pull the coat Mister Kim had placed over shoulder few minutes ago, closer to her.

Her head feels light but heavy at the same time. The excessive crying clearly blown her head, making her terribly dizzy and her eyes swollen. If only not for Mister Kim who had kindly held on to her till she is finally seated, she might have just collapsed onto to the cold ground.

Mister Kim. Yes, Mister Kim. Looks like stars have aligned at the weirdest time again.

When he had, out of nowhere, pulled her into his arms and offered his shoulders to cry, she might have forgotten everything and gave in. When the tears won't stop, little sobs slowly turning into painful cries of despair, he placed his hand at the back of her head, caressing it gently. Having no other choice but to bury her face in his chest, she lets herself cry like a madwoman and no longer minding how horrendous she would have sounded or looked.

Mister Kim too had gently wrapped his hand around her shoulders, pushing her deeper into his warm embrace when her feet wobbled like jelly that she almost drop to the floor. He carefully yet firmly held on to her, allowing her to lean into him for support as she cries her heart out. His embrace felt good, his gentle voice soothed her and most importantly, his presence felt like home.

A strange unknown home

Now that she is finally sitting there alone, despite the heaviness in her head, recalling him hugging her so intimately made her blush. A slight regret flickers in her heart, thinking how exactly she is going to face him when he returns from getting some food for her. But then, she is just too tired, drained out from all the weeping to even think of the circumstances.

All she wants to do right now is to clear her mind. Things just keep bumping onto her, rendering her in complete endless pain. She wonders if God just loves testing her sanity and wanting to push her to her very limits. Everything just keeps taking a turn and she feels dumbly lost just thinking about what to do.

"Hot tea?"

Mister Kim's voice startled her, making her shriek a little as she turns to the side. He stands there with a paper cup in one hand and a box of chocolate in another. He hands her the hot tea, gesturing her to take it.

"You need this hot tea—chamomile tea actually. I asked one of the nurses to make it for you", he takes the seat beside her, slightly turning to her to offer her the tea again. "Or you want something sweet?"

 "Or you want something sweet?"