Chapter 53

Jiwoo smiles at the last text Haru sent to her this morning, still baffled at the thought of her friend going all the way to find Mister Kim. She made Haru promised to keep her updated and to be honest, she was completely restless as she waited for Haru's text just to assure she arrived in Daegu in one piece. Then, she finally went to sleep at ease.

Dragging her feet to her windows, eyes squinting at the bright light piercing through the clear glass making her groans in annoyance. She woke up about an hour ago but found no energy to even get out of the cosy sheets, too comfortable in her warm bed. Hair spiking in all directions, eyes still heavy from sleepiness, she stares at the little garden just outside of her windows, eyes zooming at that one new gardener, she assumed, happily walking around her mother's garden in a woven hat, a watering can in his left hand and a small gardening fork in the other.

"What time is it now?", she glances at the little clock hung over the door, before snapping her eyes back at the said gardener. "Why on earth is he watering the plants at 2 pm?"

Deciding not to give the gardener further attention, Jiwoo freshened up quickly just by washing her face and brushing her teeth. She didn't even bother to shower since she has no plans but to stay at home, eat ice cream and watch sappy romantic movies till new year's eve.

The smell of kimchi fills her nostrils as she steps into the big kitchen, surprised to see her mother decked in her favourite denim blue apron busily cooking something at the stove.

"I made coffee for you earlier", her mother coos without turning around. "I put it in the tumbler to keep it warm, go and drink some okay?"

"Did you get a new gardener?"

"A new gardener?", she finally turns around. "What new gardener?"

"I saw a new boy at your garden watering plants—okay, who in their righteous mind would want to water plants at 2 pm? Who did you hire—"

"I do"

A deep rooted voice was heard from the opened sliding door just beside their dining table.

"I water my plants at random times"

The sight of the unexpected guess walking into the kitchen, dressed so humbly casual with that rattan hat that is now removed and placed on the dining table. Jiwoo had to blink a few times, unable to really process the man standing a few feet away from her, eyes all sparkly and his dimples poking out as he offers her a very generous smile.

"Good Afternoon, Jiwoo-ssi", he bows politely before heading straight towards the sink.

Unable to form any coherent thought as her mind fails her at the worst time ever, she could only watch as the tall man happily and cheerfully washed his hand at the sink while casually talking to her mom as if it is so natural of him to do so, in her house.

Will somebody tell her how in the world Officer Kim is here, in her house?

Out of nowhere, there's a little crack in the back of her head that makes her look down at her very not decent appearance ; just a very lose black shirt and the shortest pants in the world. Heat blooms all over her skin as she recalls the way Officer Kim just saw her in such state and she swears with all her might, it feels like she just dug her own grave.

Like a splash of water on her entire face, she snaps out of her trance and grunts to herself, mentally cursing as she anxiously shifts on her feet, not knowing what to do. To run and never look back or act casual and pretend his presence has done nothing to her sanity.