Chapter 9

"Seo Haru-ssi, Mister Park said nothing but good things about you. You have a class with him this semester?"

Haru's eyes light up at the sudden praise, making her mouth flung open in surprise. "Y-Yes, I am taking his subject this semester"

Madam Choi smiles even wider this time, one hand flipping through the papers on her table as she reads them through her glasses. After a few nods, she takes another paper and stamped her signature before handing it to her.

"I am recommending you to a professor in Seoul National University. He is looking for a new research assistant for the upcoming next semester in February next year and I did say I have one student I would like to recommend. I remember you saying you would like to further your studies soon. Have you thought of anything?"

As a matter of fact, Haru does want to talk about this matter with her but a big part of her is so conscious of the pair of eyes that have been staring at her. At the corner of the room, there is Mister Kim, seated nicely and comfortably at his table. He has been there when she arrived about 10 minutes ago and for some reason, it makes her uneasy out of nowhere.

There are no tutorial classes with him today nor any lectures with Madam Choi thus this makes their first meeting for the day. When she had walked in earlier, he was the first person to look up from his laptop screen, that sharp piercing eyes looking at her through that black rimmed glasses. It feels like he is looking deep into her soul, studying every inch of her existence in search for something, anything.

Haru swore with her entire guts, he has been looking at her as she stands at Madam Choi's table.

"Oh anyway!", Madam Choi's voice broke her chain of thoughts, thankfully. "Mister Kim, have you checked her progress? Anything I can help you with?"

Taehyung clears his throat before sitting up straight, taking off his glasses as he leans on his table. "I have not, maybe I can check it today after I am done with this paper", he then turns to look at her. "Seo Haru-ssi, you can email me your progress, I can check it later and update you through email. Will that be okay?"

Haru winced at the sudden shift of his voice when he spoke to her

Haru winced at the sudden shift of his voice when he spoke to her. His tone was friendlier when he spoke to Madam Choi but then when he talked to her, it feels different. She was sure his eyes looked softer when he looked at Madam Choi, but every hint of that softness disappeared when he turned to her.

And for some reason, she feels slightly disturbed by that.

"Seo Haru-ssi?", he calls her again in a very monotonous tone. "You need to take my email address"

"O-Oh—I am sorry Mister Kim. Let me just write it on a piece of paper and—"

"I have written it here" he cuts her off, placing a small piece of paper at the edge of the table. "Please email it to me as soon as possible"