Chapter 10

It has been a few hours since Dr Kim told her she has to wait till Haneul is out of the emergency surgery. Haneul was unstable and was sent for surgery due to the sudden heart failure. Haru couldn't sit still, pacing back and forth in front of the surgery theatre, not knowing where to go nor what to do. Her entire body trembles from all the shock, her eyes swollen and red from all the crying.

She cannot stop herself from weeping, too scared of the possibilities of losing Haneul just like that. This is the thing she has been fearing ever since Haneul got very sick. Even when Dr Kim has informed her months before that this could happen one day—on which it did—she can never be prepared for it. Not right now. Not this early. Just not right now.

Things are happening too fast and her mind is spiralling out of focus to the extend she did not even remember how and when she ended up at the small park outside of the hospital. She needed to get out of the quiet place, feeling herself suffocating being trapped in those blinding white walls. She could not breathe. Her entire body feels cold and she is shivering.

Finding an empty bench just beside the small empty pond, she drops herself onto the cold marble surface.She stares at her shaky cold fingers, gulping slowly as she tries to stop herself from trembling so much. But she could not. She is afraid, too afraid. She cannot lose Haneul like this. Her heart aches that every breathe sucks the life out of her. Closing her eyes shut, she tries to remember the breathing practice Dr Kim has taught her whenever she cannot control her emotions and beginning to feel everything is crushing down.

"Breathe, Haru. Breathe", she tells herself, her voice so weak and soft. "Haneul is going to be okay"

She pulls her cardigan closer to herself, realizing she left her coat at the car because she was rushing to see Haneul. The cold weather of the night does not seem to help easing her anxiousness.

With her eyes still closed shut, she focuses on her breathing. Taking one slow breathe at a time, coaxing herself to calm down.

Breathe, Haru, you can do this. One, two, three, four, five, six, seve—

The feeling of someone placing something that feels like a thick cloth on her shoulders startled her, making her eyes shot open in panic. She turns to the side, gasping under her breathe when she sees a man standing beside her, his eyes looking down at her with such gentle gaze.

"I am sorry, I didn't mean to scare you", his voice was low. "But you are going to get a cold if you sit out here without a coat"

Too startled to even find her voice, her mouth opens and closes as her blurry mind registers the sight of the tall handsome man beside her, his familiar sharp eyes looking down at her with much concern. She has no idea how many seconds have passed as she just sits there frozen, unable to move or say anything.

"Seo...Haru...?", he leans slightly closer, searching for her eyes. "Are you...alright?"

"M-Mister Kim...?"

?"