Chapter 18

Haru shuffles on the wooden bench, shifting left and right as she waits for Mister Kim to come back. When he had found her in the middle of the street a few minutes ago, he  offered another handkerchief and kindly assured her he will not be asking anything. The only thing he had asked was to follow him to the park and asked her to sit there.

If she were in her righteous state of mind and not in such a dreadful mess, she would have rejected and walked away. But, the second she heard his soothing voice, gently offering comfort as his gentle gaze dives into her very confused ones, she couldn't even bring herself to say no. She may have needed the comfort but now that she is finally regaining her senses, it suddenly feels odd.

"How did I end up here", she pressed her cold fingers on the sides of her face, having second thoughts now.

"Because you need this"

His deep voice made her jump, turning to the side to find him offering a cup of warm chocolate milk

His deep voice made her jump, turning to the side to find him offering a cup of warm chocolate milk. He gestures her to take the cup but when she doesn't respond, he inches closer and places it near her hand.

"You need this"

Had she been crying too hard that all the vocabulary she had learnt flowed out of her leaving her wordless? Because it feels like it. She searched for words, a reply, or just anything to respond to his kind offer but her mind failed her. So, instead of replying, she looks up to him with a very strange expression.

"Haru", he calls her softly. "Let me just do this then"

He puts his own cup of drink on the bench before taking a seat beside her. Then he swiftly reached for her hands, helping her wrap her fingers around the cup he was holding. His bigger warmer hands cover hers as his eyes flick up to study her face, perhaps wondering if she would finally hold her cup on her own.

Haru looks down at his hands covering hers, and then she looks up back at him.

"I want to let go but I don't know if you are going to hold it properly. I don't want it to spill all over you", he clarifies , gesturing to her hands still not steadily holding the cup. "Are you able to hold it?"

Just like a switch is flicked at the back of her head, she finally snaps out of her swaying thoughts and gasped to herself.

"Oh shit, I am sorry—Mister Kim—no, I didn't mean to—I mean—"

"No-it is okay", he cuts her off, hands slowly lifting off hers as he observes her fingers finally firmly wrapped around the cup. "Drink it while it is still warm"

 "Drink it while it is still warm"