Chapter 16

"Soooo this Dr Kim, are you crushing on him or something...?"

Haru turns to her sister, Areum, who has been busy choosing a cereal from the row of shelves in front of her. Areum is back in Seoul for a few days, taking a week off from work just to visit her family here. And of course, she crashed Haru's place last night and now here they are, doing groceries early in the morning just because Areum craves for Korean snacks and everything else.

"Good god, were you even listening to me?", Haru sneers, randomly grabbing a box of cereal before pushing the trolley away. "Just choose, will you?"

Areum heard her sister walking away thus she randomly grabbed whatever cereals she could and quickly catches on her.

"Walk fast you snail", Haru heads towards the dairy section. "Which milk do you need?"

"Almond milk", her sister leans closer to the trolley, dumping all the boxes in. "Wait, let me rephrase your sentences just now"

"What?"

"You have been telling me about Dr Kim—do you like him or—"

"I don't like him in a romantic way. I am telling you about him because he seems compatible with you"

Areum's mouth dropped open, eyebrows arched as she looks at her sister weirdly. "You want me to ask him out on a date?"

"I am asking you to get to know him better"

Areum stays silent for a moment, observing her sister as she studies the various selection of milk on the shelf. It is not that she has not been paying attention to her selling out Dr Kim's perfect traits and sharing everything about him to her. In fact, she was busy trying to arrange her words to ask Haru about herself. She wants to ask about Haru and their parents.

"Haru"

"Whattt—what else do you want to buy?", she asks, not turning around.

"When was the last time mother talked to you?"

The snicker smile on Haru's face disappeared almost instantly as she turns around, looking at her sister with a blank face. "You really going to ask me about mother? Here? In the grocery store?"

"Where else? You didn't even tell me about you when I arrived last nig—"

"You were tired. Jet lagged. You were sleepy. I can't be spilling my problems to you just like that."

There is it, this side of Haru. Always putting others first, but never herself. It sometimes annoys Areum to the point she wants her sister to think more of her feelings. She wants her to spill her thoughts to her and tell her if everything gets too heavy for her. But no, her sister never does that. Whenever she called her or texted her, wondering if everything is okay, she would just say she is fine and everything is good.

A lie, a white lie them both know very well.

"Haru", Areum sighs as she places both hands on the trolley. "I am sorry"

Haru looks at her confusedly, eyes silently asking her to explain.

"I have not been here for you. I know you have been through a lot—and our parents....", she sighs regretfully and knowingly. "I'll talk to them, okay?"

"No", Haru objects immediately. "We talked about this. I don't want their love. I don't want to beg for their love. I am tired of hoping that they will love me. So no. Don't. Just don't. Promise me"