Chapter 14

"Is that why you went home with me that night?"

His question made her froze, head slowly turning to him despite the slow rush of embarrassment washing over her. She did not expect him to ask that question. She didn't see it coming.

Her calm heart abruptly starts to beat irregularly underneath her tight chest making it so hard to draw one calm breathe when their eyes met. His intent eyes look at her so deeply that it makes her skin feels aflame. All words and thoughts are lost when everything around her seems to swirl into distortion, warped into a blurry vision making her see nothing but him.

The air around them suddenly shifts, creating sparks of electricity between them. He looks at her the exact same way she is looking at him. They both look at each other with a knowing look—a look that says they remember about that night.

That night and all the very inappropriate memories that come with it

"I am sorry", he looked away first. "I shouldn't have asked that question. I am sorry if it made you uncomfortable"

To say that she is happy he looked away could be a partial lie

To say that she is happy he looked away could be a partial lie. Because a tiny part of her wants him to look at her again. There is something about he way he looked at her. Something she has yet to know of.

But she loved the way he looked at her just now.

"No, it is okay", she clears her throat and laughs to herself. "Actually, I was at the club because I was too sad.  My own father forgot my birthday. I was hoping he would remember but he did not. I was a fool to had been so hopeful. So that's why Jiwoo took me out that night"

Haru really wanted to slap herself mentally and physically for being so blunt with her words. But the words just keep spilling out of her mouth and there is no stop. It feels so strange to suddenly feel this comfortable with Mister Kim but somehow, she wanted to tell him. She wanted to share this vulnerable part of her. The depressing, empty, and broken part of her that she never once revealed to anyone else.

What made her do it? She has no idea. What she knows is, it feels right.

"It is dangerous, you know", he suddenly says. "To numb a pain this way"

"Why is it dangerous? I mean, if I want it—"

"To numb a pain by sleeping with some guy. Men are dangerous. Very dangerous. You should not let your guard down, even when you are in pain"

"But you took me home and slept with me"

And now it is his turn to be lost at words. He should have known this conversation is going to lead to this and it is going to make everything feels awkward. He thinks to himself, resting his cold palms on his thighs and looks to the front. He tries his very best to look calm and unaffected, putting up a straight unbothered face.