Chapter 51

After checking in the nearest hotel on which she is entirely grateful Jungkook has booked beforehand and texted her the details, Haru settles herself into one of the nightgowns laid on the bed by the hotel staff who assisted them to their room. First of all, Jungkook certainly chose one fancy hotel which is luckily a walking distance from the park and claimed Jimin and him stumbled upon that hotel by accident when they searched for Taehyung many years ago. Secondly, he even ordered some late dinner for them and it arrived when she was waiting for Taehyung as he showers. Well, after she practically dragged him into the shower and promised him, she will not be going anywhere. And thirdly, there is a birthday cake.

Sighing as she sits at the edge of the bed, her mind trails back to the moment Taehyung was crying in her arms looking like a little kid in pain and agony, so much sadness and aching in his teary eyes. The sight of him cuts through her heart, breaking it little by little as she stands there and watched him cry.

Realizing how both of them are so close to freezing themselves to death, Haru managed to pull him up  and convinced him to follow her lead. Not a word uttered as he let her takes his hand and walked straight to the hotel and the silence remained till they finally checked in. The first word he said was "cold" and Haru gently coaxes him to take a warm shower and let her take care of him.

And she did. It feels like she is nursing a little lost kid, telling him what to do one by one but then when she was filling the bathtub with warm water, Taehyung did something that somehow surprised her. He hugged her from behind, nuzzling in her neck as he weakly thanked her. It took a little effort to convince him to release her so that she could send their clothes for quick dry cleaning and order some warm drinks for themselves.

That's how she ended with two cans of warm chocolate milk resting nicely beside her thighs as she stares blankly into the big vanity mirror right in front of her. She looks at the reflection of the food trolley sent in by the hotel staff about 10 minutes ago, the smell of mushroom soup and garlic bread filling the warm air of the room making her stomach rumbles. Then she looks at the small birthday cake that is hidden underneath the silver cover, smiling as she remembers the last text Jungkook sent in the group chat.

"It's a strawberry shortcake with extra strawberries, I hope that will cheer him up!"

"Such a sweet friend, isn't he?"

About 15 minutes later, the door to the toilet swings open and Taehyung walks out perfectly dressed in his own nightgown. He looks better now, fresh and a little bit alive compared to an hour ago. He stands there, looking at her for a few seconds before breaking into a soft smile as he walks towards her and sits beside her on the edge of the bed.

"I bought you warm chocolate drink—but I think it is cold now", she pouts outwardly, pointing at the canned drinks between them. "I am sorry, I bought it too early"

Taehyung looks at the drinks and suddenly, for the first time that night, he laughs. The earnest hearty laugh Haru loves so much and it makes her look at him in complete daze and awe.

"It's like that night", he smiles at her, eyes boring into hers. "Warm chocolate milk"

"Tae", she gently takes his hand, holding in her smaller ones. "I won't ask more, but, I am here for you."

His eyes slowly flutter at the suddenness, making him gulps silently as his eyes drop back to their hands. Haru watches as the similar sadness takes over his features again, his lips pressed thin and his broad shoulders dropping low.