Chapter 60

Jiwoo watches as Officer Kim's eyes seem to gleam, the lights from the shops and the streets bounce on them like multicolored fireworks in the starry night sky. His eyes are sharp, but it holds this certain tenderness as he looks at her. His eyes capture her soul like no other, swaying her insides like they want her to get lost in them.

But then, there is a flicker of worry amidst that tender gaze. Like a slash of uncertainties, a little fear, and a tinge of hope.

That night. Haru's house. You and Haru at the kitchen. I heard you

What did he mean by this? What about her and Haru at the kitchen? What did they talk about? What exactly is he referring to?

"Jiwoo"

He was still catching his breathe and she wonders was he running a while ago? Did he run from the café to catch up to her just to tell her he remembers something she said from that night?

"Say something"

"Say something?", she gulps. "I am very confused Officer Kim. What are you trying to sa—"

"I like you"

Jiwoo watches as he flinched the second, he said that, looking as he could not believe he just said that to her out of nowhere. And ever so slowly, he takes on long breathe, exhaling calmly before clearing his throat. Then he looks up, meeting her lost eyes.

"This is not what I had in mind. I mean, I wanted to confess to you but not like this. Not in the middle of the street. Not when I look like a mess", he said shyly, a palm snaking to the back of his neck. "But I think—"

"Hold it", Jiwoo cuts him off with one hand in the air. "What did you say?"

Namjoon blinks for a few times, clearly surprised when she spoke suddenly. He tries to decipher her expression but all he could see is her beautiful face—just that. All his focus ran out of the windows, leaving him with no might to read her expressions but to appreciate the face that has been in his dreams for weeks.

"Officer Kim, what did you just say?", she raised her eyebrows in confusion. "Are you drunk?"

"I am not", he laughs lowly, finding the entire thing hilarious even to himself. "Jiwoo, listen to me"

She could not, not when he just said that to her out of nowhere.

Officer Kim likes her?

"No, wait. Why the sudden—"

"That night", he cuts her off this time. "At Haru's house, I heard your conversation with her and...you talked about me. You, having feelings...."

He paused, taking one little step towards her.

"For me"

As if the air has been knocked out of her chest, the gasp that escaped her mouth was silent but damn it sure left her breathless for a few seconds. She froze, realization hitting her like bricks on her head, every bits of thoughts leaving her mind completely empty. Her mouth opens and closes, trying to find a way out of this stillness but she failed, not when Officer Kim comes closer, the scent of his perfume softly engulfing her.

He smells like the forest, a gentle airy of the morning breeze and the musky smell of the soil after a heavy rain. A smell so strong yet so tender it wraps you like a cold blanket on a hot day.