Step Back

"You're kidding right?" Arata responded. This had to be some dumb joke by the girl. Why would she even think that this would be a good thing to ask of him.

"I'm not joking." She replied. "I really want you to help us out here." To her, she had a massive disadvantage compared to Misei who was the incumbent.

"She's right." Yurime backed her up. "Most people don't really think of us compared to her. So we need it more than her." They figured his default was to lend his support to the current president. Since he not only was friends with her, but also because he had been working with them for the past couple of months. That would lend to more familiarity since he would be continuing his work at the dual positions.

"Personally, I think what they're doing is silly." Hifumi took a different position despite her relationship with those two. "Arata, you should reject the offer."

"Why'd you come with us if you're just gonna sabotage us?" Ichiri asked, annoyed. When he thought about it, why was she against it? Sure, there was the obvious factor that she'd be alone in the committee and have to seek out new members. But if they won, then she'd have a leader that was close to her. Something like that seemed to be a net positive for the library.

"I'll have to agree with her." Misei stood up, referencing Hifumi's point. "We all know this to be some silly game to you. So I'd suggest simply recusing yourself from the election."

"This isn't a game to me." Ichiri defended herself. "I know I can run this school better than you. I'll show all of you that."

"Then do so on your own. Arata will be aiding us in our campaigns."

"That's not fair." She refused to back down. "Why should he only help you? Just because you've been friends longer?"

"It is quite simply how things have been arranged."

"Actually." Arata spoke up, seeing as this conversation was about him. Perhaps it would be best that he had some input on it. "I never agreed to help out anyone's campaigns. In fact, I hadn't really considered the idea."

"Really?" That one word response from Misei sent a chill down his spine. It was pretty obvious she didn't like what he just said.

"Great." Ichiri was a lot more happy to hear that. "Then you can pick me. I'm a lot more fun anyway."

"Actually." Yogi spoke up on behalf of Yuki. "If you haven't decided on who you want to help, then maybe you can help me and Yuki?" He didn't seem very concerned about the tension building between the other two girls. Probably because he wasn't taking it as seriously as they all were.

His cousin, on the other hand, was sweating bullets when he brought up their own offer. Mainly because she didn't wish to draw any ire from Misei and Ichiri who were currently in the middle of a stare down.

"It would be nice..." Yuki meekly said. "B-but, you don't have to if you don't want to." Why did she have to act like that? He understood making him not feel pressured to pick her. Yet acting so adorable almost made him seriously considered siding with them. Not to mention she'd also be the one to put the least amount of stress on him.

"Ohoho, it seems we've reached ourselves quite a conundrum, haven't we?" He did not like hearing the tone from Ichiri's voice when she said that. "There's only one way for use to settle this."

"I don't think I like where this is going." He said. For it really did mean one thing. That being all of them were going to make their pitches to him for the boy to decide. On one hand, that wasn't so bad since it would be his decision in the end. However, that also mean Arata was going to feel the pressure of each of them, whether secretly or openly, wanting him to pick them.