Waking up

Darkness... And nearly still silence were it not for the steady beeps of a machine. That constant and enduring rhythm was all Arata heard as his eyes slowly opened to the light of the world. A warm glow from the sunset illuminated the room he was inside, which was an otherwise ordinary white sterile hospital room.

His vision was still somewhat blurry and his head pounded. When the boy went to hold his throbbing head with his right hand, something kept it from moving. Slowly, Arata turned to see there was a girl sitting along side him, sound asleep. It was none other than Erina, who had tightly gripped his hand as she rested her head on top of his bed. The rest of her body was sat on a chair moved to be besides him.

He tried to rack his brain to understand the situation. It would be a shame if he got amnesia again, but through physical means rather than psychological. Slowly the images of what happened began to fill into his mind. He had gotten hit by a truck saving the life of a child. Which resulted in him being knocked out and that was all he could remember.

The boy wondered what happened while he was out. Hopefully he wasn't in some coma which would involve missing out on a significant portion of his life. Judging by his own appearance and that of Erina's, it couldn't have been that long if that were the case. Perhaps it was time to give a message to the staff and see if anyone had answers for him.

"Hello?" He called out to the quiet hallways. "Is there anyone there?" Arata would've gotten up, but all the needles stuck into him made that a challenge. Thankfully they were IV bags without any appearance of blood, so that allowed Erina to stick around. There was also an intense pain radiating from his thigh making him wish he never woke up.

"Hmm?" Quietly, a nurse peeked her head into the room. There she found he was finally awake, which prompted some level of excitement and a call to one of the doctors.

"I'm glad to see you're doing okay." The doctor, who was the one who operated on the boy, said. "Looks like vitals are all doing well. Are you feeling any pain?"

"It's mostly my leg." Arata answered. While they chatted, Erina was still sound asleep.

"You're one lucky boy." Said the doctor. "We had to operate right there, and your life was in the balance for a little bit." The chuckle sounded like one of relief as the man explained what happened. "You should be thanking your friend. She donated blood for you."

"She did!?" Arata was in disbelief over the news. Last time he checked, this girl was absolutely mortified of anything relating to blood. "Wow, she really overcame her fear just for me?" He ran his fingers through her hair as he thought about what she must've went through for his sake.

"Anyway, I'll be contacting your parents so they can take you home." That was oddly quick. Arata would've thought he'd need to stay for some time just to make sure there wasn't any potential complications.

"Miss, you should wake up." The nurse gently shook Erina's unconscious body a bit to try to stir the girl. She didn't seem to budge all that much from the push.

"I'll take care of her." Said Arata, as the nurse and doctor left the pair alone. "Hey, Erina..." He whispered to try and get her to wake up. "Hey, it's me, Arata."

"Mmhmm." She finally moved a little bit from the prodding. "Who?" She got her head up and rubbed onto her eyes to try and clear her vision. The girl shook her head for a bit and looked right at Arata.

At first, she seemed to be in disbelief over what she was seeing. The girl shook her head again to make sure this wasn't an illusion. Then she pinched herself to ensure this wasn't a dream. Then she literally took her hands and rubbed them all over his face to also make sure he wasn't some hallucination.