What's Wrong With Arata?

Tick tock, tick tock. What was taking Arata so long? Yuriko was sitting, arms crossed, waiting impatiently for him to arrive. It's not as though it's late, but he's usually here by now.

She was starting to get annoyed with this, so she sent a message to Arata. Perhaps he overslept and was going to be late. Something that couldn't be afforded to her sister if that was the case.

"Hey, where are you?" She sent it out, hoping that it won't take long for a response. On the bright side, it doesn't. On the not-so-bright side, his response made no sense to her.

"Um... Why are you talking to me? How did you get this number?" Is the reply she gets from him. She checks to make sure she didn't send this message to the wrong person, but it's clear that it's him.

"Ha, real funny. When are you coming over?" She responded. Yuriko is hardly in the mood for jokes in the morning.

"We're not friends, so no." That is Arata's last message to her. She is about to send another, but when she does. It fails.

"What? He blocked me!" She yelled out in frustration. "Come on, let's go Yurisa." She's going to have to go to his house and give him a piece of her mind. However first, her sister needs to go to school.

After a lot of pulling and running with Yurisa. Yuriko quickly made her way to his house. Arata's mother answered the door, that was after a little bit of banging from the young girl.

"Oh, it's Yuriko." His mom happily greeted her. "How come you're here, shouldn't you be walking to school with Arata?"

"That's what I was thinking." She had a tone of irritation. "How come your son went and blocked me?"

"He did?" She replied. "Hmm? Were you that strange girl that he was worried about seeing?" That certainly explained it better to his mom why he practically ran out of the house. Her son was acting really oddly this morning.

"Worried about seeing me?" He did say that they weren't friends in their messages. Everything combined about this caused her to suddenly rush away from his house. There was only one place he could be now. And there was only one reason that she could think of, to explain his behavior.

"I, uh, hope you have fun at school!" His mom yelled out to her, which fell on deaf ears. Right now, the only thing was to find out why Arata was apparently giving her the cold shoulder.

At her pace, it doesn't take long to reach the school grounds. Yuriko rushes into the building, right to the school lockers. That's where he's getting his shoes put on.

"What's up with you?!" She pushed him up against the lockers. Arata has a look of utter fear on his face from being caught off-guard. "You figured it out, didn't you?!"

"Figured what out?" He responded, putting his hands in front of his face. Prepared to protect himself from any punches she might throw. "Whatever I did, I'm sorry. Just let go of me." She slowly lost the tenseness in her body. Yuriko realized how angry she was getting at him.

"What are you talking about?" She let go of him. This boy was acting like they've never met before. "You're not mad at me?"

"Mad?" Arata took a good look at her. "But, I don't think we've ever talked before. Nothing serious at least." What was he saying? They're friends, they've been walking together in the morning for a month now.

There wasn't any time to confront him on it, classes were about to begin. Even if time permitted, she was just too stunned to say anything to him. Arata kept a weary eye on her, afraid she might attack him again.