Something Missing

Arata along with the girls of the gardening club made their way to where all spectators for the fireworks show were standing. A quick scan around, and they were able to find the rest of his friends.

"Hey guys." Arata greeted them, though he noted that Erina was missing. A shame, considering how it was when they had separated.

"Great to see you again." Yogi returned his greeting. "That just means we're missing Erina, I haven't been able to contact her though." That worried Arata, was she really that upset?

"Hey Yuki." He noticed Yogi's cousin. "How are you?"

"I'm... Fine." That was all she had to say to him. Things had gotten a little rough between the two. Ever since she found out he was her online friend, she had gotten more distance from him. She didn't even respond to his messages anymore. That was kind of sad for him.

"It's nice to see you." Akaki took Arata away from his thoughts. "It's too bad we couldn't see each other before the fireworks show."

"I guess things just happen." For a friend group, they sure did a poor job at sticking together. "So how's it been for you two." He noted that Akaki and Akiba were probably together for most of these events. At least, that would make the most sense for him.

"We had a lot of fun." She told him. Her smile was all he needed to confirm the truth. If they had spent that much time together, then he thought that Akaki might be finally pursuing his feelings. If that was the case, then Arata was going to support him wholeheartedly.

"So, are you two excited for the fireworks show?" He asked again, his question filled with another implication.

"Of course, I think it'll look pretty dazzling." Akaki answered, clueless.

"I think that..." Akiba knew exactly what he was getting at. "I'll do something that surprises all of you."

"What do you mean?" Akaki asked.

"You don't know?" Seeing as that boy was her supporter, he figured that he'd be aware of this tradition. "About the whole kissing deal during the fireworks?"

"That's a thing?"

"Yeah." Arata explained to him about the boys closing their eyes, followed by some girls choosing to kiss them. "Think of it as a way to confess, without actually confessing."

"I see." He understood now, but it sounded really embarrassing to do.

"Hey..." Arata leaned to whisper to him. Luckily, Akiba respected that he wanted some privacy. "I bet if it was the other way around. You'd kiss her, wouldn't you?"

"..." He wasn't sure if he wanted to answer that. Arata took that as confirmation.

"Don't worry, I can tell that you've changed a little." If that boy was really serious as a supporter, than his actions were on the weak side. He might've been trying to help in earnest, but lately. He had been wanting to spend time with her, more and more. As if he understood that time wouldn't last for long. Especially if she got with Yogi.

"I guess that... Your attempts weren't that bad." Akaki responded modestly. So when Arata was trying to pair these two up, that wasn't completely a waste.

"If that's the case, then I'm on your side. 100 percent." They ended their private conversation, and Arata returned to the gardening club. Ever since he decided to become more sociable, he had too many people to bounce between now.

"Say Arata." Hanaka grabbed his attention. "Do you have a moment to talk... Alone?" She pulled him away from both groups. Whatever she had to say, he figured was going to be important. Still on his mind, he quickly looked around while they were getting some distance. Erina nowhere in sight.