Delay

"Yeah, I don't know if I'll make it back." After the news was broken to him, Arata had to give his parents a call. "Okay... Don't worry, I'll stay safe... Right..." It was the usual deal with calls to family. "I hope so..." He ended the conversation with a wishful thought.

"Are your parent fine?" Erina asked him, as he returned to their bench.

"Yeah..." He responded, his voice less than fine. "What about you? Are you good?" In an attempt to avoid thinking to hard about it, he changed the subject as quickly as possible.

"Of course I'm fine." She said, but that wasn't an entirely true statement. With all this snow, the temperature was freezing. The girl brushed on her arms, trying to warm herself as best she could. Her cosplay wasn't designed for surviving cold weather.

It was clear to Arata, as he sat besides her. Her shivering was impossible to ignore, and he knew that he needed to take responsibility. Without saying a word, he took off his jacket and put it on her. That shocked her, as she pulled a bit away from him.

"Wh-what are you doing?" She said, her stutter a result of a mix of astonishment and winter chill.

"You're cold." He simply said to her. "You don't have to pretend you're comfortable, and it's my fault that you're dressed like this anyway." Obviously, a short skirt and Summer blouse was never going to beat the elements. So, she accepted his jacket and tightened it around her body.

It didn't do that much of a job in keeping her warm, but it was a lot better than being bare in this cold air. There she was, just sitting there with his jacket over her. It was an odd feeling to have accepted such a gift, and in a moment without thinking. Erina took a tiny sniff to capture his scent.

Immediately, she realized just how weird that was. It didn't even make sense to her. Why would the girl even want to know something like that.

"Is it all right?" He asked, but with her mind wondering towards a different subject. She ended up being a bit nervous in her response.

"Of course it's all right." She was bright red, which thanks to the cold. Arata was none-the-wiser that this was due to embarrassment, instead of the Winter chill. "Thanks for it."

"That's good to hear." He crossed his arms, rubbing his hands over himself to try and gather some warmth for himself. His nose was sniffling, which to any normal individual, would just be due to this cold. Yet somehow she was able to ascertain the real reason for it.

"What about you? Are you doing okay?" She asked, turning her head over to get a better look at his face.

"Of course I'm fine." He turned to make sure that wasn't going to happen. "I'll deal with this cold. It won't kill me." The boy tried to control the conversation between them. So he pretended that was what she was referring to.

"But what about that dinner with your family?" She wasn't going to be shut out. "You were pretty excited about it." It wasn't even needed that he told her directly. His tone was more than enough to confirm that fact.

"I'm sure we'll be out of here in no time." Though even he was uncertain about his own statement. The conductor did say there was a chance in them being unable to clear out the snow for the night. If that was the case, then the two of them were going to be stuck here for at least the next day. Which was pretty bad considering what today was.

Even still, she knew that she wasn't able to get him to admit it. Perhaps he just didn't want to seem weak in front of her? Or maybe he needed some to comfort him, even if he wouldn't admit it.

"You know." She spoke up, after deeply considering what to say next. "Christmas has never been a good holiday for me..." For the girl, instead of the holiday spirit and Christmas cheer. It was more of a day of loneliness for her. Her father was always out busy with work, while her mother never seemed interested in her own daughter. Yet, it was also on a day like this, when her fate changed.