Our Duty

Almost as soon as he told the treasurer he'd accept. Arata was already regretting his decision. It's not that he didn't want to go through with it. More like standing face-to-face with Misei again made him feel beyond anxious.

"Hello vice president, p-president." As the other boy was revealing his replacement, he could only meekly greet them.

"Kashimura?" Misao didn't try to hide her surprise. "Why exactly did you choose him? I thought I told you to get Yogi Aono instead." So even during this time, she was supporting her friend. Arata was impressed.

"Well I did ask him, but unfortunately, he's already promised another club he'd help them out first." He remembered that, what club was it again? The light music club? What even is light music anyway?

"I guess that's fine then, but what made you believe his seatmate would've made for a good second choice?" Misei asked. He felt a little bad, not being referred to by name despite standing in the middle of the conversation.

"But, aren't you the one who recommended him?" She did? It wasn't what he'd be expecting.

"I did no such thing." She denied it.

"You can't honestly be referring to that." Misao followed up.

"What are you all talking about?" He might've been the subject matter, but everything they were talking about was flying over his head.

"He's talking about the other day when he asked about you."

"Yeah, I asked her what she thought of you. She just responded with 'he's good at math'." Arata waited for more to follow, but it was clear he was finished.

"And?"

"That's it, that's all she said." It should've been obvious that she didn't have much opinion, at least open, about Arata. Yet this boy over here honestly took that to mean she knew why he was asking and gave a recommendation. "That's all I needed to know if you could be a replacement."

"Sure..." He wanted to express more disdain for that answer, but he didn't want to be disrespectful. "Doesn't matter either way, I accepted. Unless the President doesn't want me to."

"You're free to help." She quickly answered, sharp in her tone. "Just don't mess it up." She turned and walked away from them.

By the time of the meetings to be done, Arata had already been informed of what his job was to be. It was mainly balancing and keeping track of the funds being sent to each respective club. As well as taking notes of what happened for the treasurer when he got back to stay up-to-date.

Unfortunately for him, despite the plan being to use this for opportunities to talk to her again. Any chance he took, she basically turned him down. If he pretended to ask for help, she's just defer to Misao. Any questions, Misao. At this point, he was stuck hanging out with the vice president more than anyone else this week.

While he may not have a problem with her, that wasn't his goal. Right now, it appeared that this barrier between him and Misei was not going to be broken anytime soon. Then again, should he even want that? It's not like they were friends, yet for some reason. Yet, Arata just felt bad that things were the way they were. Why?

He was feeling like this was a waste of time once the meetings started. Arata sat by her, as clubs came in to state their case for what was necessary for funding. As promised, he took notes, and spoke up to give attention to what had already been given, and what was left.

Things were going well on the job front. Nothing had been an issue for them and clubs were generally pleased with what they got. As long as they had been reasonable, he didn't think that they'd get cut short.