My Feelings for Her

"The two of you, why were you coming from the wood?" This was awkward. At least, that's what he thought. Now that he knew her feelings for him, it wasn't hard to believe that this might cause misunderstanding. Except, wouldn't even the truth might have romantic implications?

"Is there something wrong?" From the way Misei was talking. It was like she was goading the other girl on. "There's nothing with a couple of friends spending some time together, is there?"

"It's just that..." Matsu was getting anxious. She wasn't sure what to say or believe here. "I mean, if a girl and a boy are alone out there. Wouldn't people get the wrong idea?"

"Only someone as immature like you could think that." That was kind of unnecessary, Arata thought. "To think that I would give up my body like that. Or perhaps, that's just the type of girl you are. After all, you did-"

"Stop it." Arata had to put an end to this. Matsu was on the verge of tears, and Misei was acting rather uncharacteristic of herself. He was aware that they didn't have the best relationship, but this felt like fight, a battle of words. "I think that's going too far."

"I'm sorry." Misei realized the error of what she was saying. "I didn't mean to insinuate that you were that type of girl." She apologized to Matsu.

"Yeah..." Matsu accepted it quietly. "And I didn't mean imply that you did anything inappropriate either." Arata was glad that this was resolved, at least for now.

"Say, Misei." He was going to ask a favor of her. "Do you know where Akaki and Akiba are?"

"I don't know for certain, but they're probably getting something to eat right now. Why do you ask?"

"Well, the fireworks show is going to start soon. So we should get everyone together."

"Sure, let's go." However, Arata had a different idea of handling the plan.

"Actually, I'm gonna go with Matsu, so we can get her friends."

"You are?" She looked over at the girl. The way that Matsu glowed at hearing that. It made her feel a bit upset. "It's your choice." She allowed, as if he was asking for permission.

"Thanks." They separated, he knew that those two should not be together. At least for now, until he understood their animosity. "So where's the rest of the gardening club?"

"Well we actually have a stand here." She told him. "It's not for gardening though." It turns out Karino's family ran a restaurant, so this was a good means of promoting the business.

"That sounds like a lot of fun." He was impressed. It would've been cool if he could help one of his other friends with their stands. "But then, why are you here?"

"They told me that I should go have some fun." She answered. "It's probably because I'm a terrible cook." She laughed. That was the truth, but her friends also believed if she went out in the festival on her own. Then she'd go and seek Arata out, so this was a win-win situation for them.

"Well we should go pay them a visit. Hopefully they can join all of us to watch the fireworks." Standing beside her, Arata knew about what she felt. Or at least, that's what it appeared to him. It was a possibility that she didn't feel that way for him. Either way, he wanted to see how he felt.

"Yeah, I'll show you where the stand is." She was about to lead him, before he stopped her.

"Actually." He needed an excuse for what he was about to ask. This crowd was perfect for him. "This place is getting pretty busy now. It's too easy to get separated." Now he just needed to actually get to what he was after. "So maybe... We should hold hands."