The Last Day of Summer

The last day of Summer, well at least for Arata's sister, Ayami. She was going to have to head back to college today. However, she did want to see the kids he was babysitting before she left, to see how much they've grown since she last saw them. While she was occupied with all the kids, Arata and Yuriko were sitting on the couch as they usually did.

"Seems like your sister likes mine." He said to her.

"Yeah, well that's not a surprise." She replied. With not much to talk about this weekend, he had his notebook out. The heart still a mystery to him. "Isn't that the notebook you had during our vacation?" She saw him intently reading it.

"Yeah it is." He answered her. "It's just this one page I don't get." It wasn't a huge deal to him, just would've been nice to refresh his memory on who it was about though. He showed her the heart message left in it.

"A + Y?" She read. The heart around those letters. It was clear that this was meant to be a love promise. "I never realized you were the type to make love promises."

"Not now, this was when I was a lot younger. According to these dates, I was apparently about seven or eight when I wrote this." Being nearly a decade old, it was no wonder that he couldn't remember the events that led to this.

"Aren't there any clues in the book itself? Seems a bit weird for a boy to have a diary, don't you think?"

"It's a journal." He tried correcting her. "Plus, there's no names written in it. Anytime I seem to talk about this girl, I wrote her name as Y." He was upset at his past self. Why couldn't he have been more clear?

"That sucks." She scanned through the pages. "About as bad as your handwriting."

"I was seven." He got defensive about her criticism. His mystery wasn't embarrassing, but he wouldn't have told her if she was going to trash his childhood self.

"What are you two talking about?" Ayami was finished with the children for now. "Or did I interrupt some flirting?"

"It's nothing like that." He replied in irritation.

"Yeah, like I'd ever flirt with someone like him." She crossed her arms.

"But we're just talking about my childhood crush, because I apparently had one." He answered.

"Really?"

"Yeah, does A + Y mean anything to you?" Her eyes widened from hearing those letters.

"Did you just say A+ Y?" She stuttered. Quickly she grabbed his notebook, furiously searching the pages.

"Um..." He was speechless at her actions. So was Yuriko, who never thought she'd see this reserved girl like this.

"Oh thank goodness, I thought you took one of my old diaries." She breathed a sigh of relief.

"Did you have a crush on someone with Y as part of their name?" He asked.

"It's none of your business!" She shouted a little too loudly. The kids looked over to them, Arata told them to not worry and get back to playing. "S-sorry, it's not important right now. This is about you." He let it go for now. Yuriko's presence, a person that she was not really familiar with probably kept her from wanting to talk about it more.

"Okay, well do you remember me spending any time with a girl, about when I was seven or eight?" He asked Ayami, hoping that she'd have better memory than him.

"Oh right, I remember. There was a girl that you spent a lot of time with." She said, perhaps it was time to finally get an answer. "But I never got her name, you always called her Y when you came home." Or not.