The Little Things

"So Yuki, do you think that you've got everything down now?" After they had gotten some practice, it was time for Arata to take the initiative. The two of them were alone, making sure there was nothing to disturb them.

"Yes, I've remembered them from reading the story." She said. "So rereading them was easy." Even then, Yuki wasn't confident in her acting skills. Knowing what was on the line made it even worse for her.

"Great, then let's take it from the top." Lucky for the both of them, this wasn't a dialogue heavy story. Meaning that remembering words wasn't the hard part. The problem was how much subtle detail was needed that had to be physically emoted to show to an audience.

Step one was to take the first meeting. The first day of 100. Every story had a beginning, a start to the romance. Or in the case of this story, the start of a friendship. This one was of a chance encounter, the type where an audience might sit and think that their lives would be vastly different were it not for this event.

"Go ahead and lead the way." He told her. This chance meeting was when the girl was carrying a stack of papers. On a windy day, a page blew out. Only to be caught by a certain someone.

Yuki did as he said, carrying a stack of real papers. There, she pretended one got away, where he produced a page that he was carrying the whole time. It'd be impossible to actually fly a piece of paper to him, so this was the best alternative.

"Almost lost that one there." He said, reciting the lines perfectly.

"Right." She ran up to him in order to take the paper from him. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bother you."

"It's no problem." He held it out to her. "The teachers probably wouldn't want any to get lost."

"Yeah, thanks..." She stared at him, as was the way this scene was done.

"Oh, my name is-" He was going to continue the scene, but the two were looking each other in the eye. The longer it took, the faster her heart beat. Yuki's hands flinched, causing her to drop the props she was carrying, causing a large mess.

"I'm so sorry." She apologized, immediately going to the ground to gather them. "They just slipped out of my hands."

"Don't worry, we've got plenty of time to make sure to get it right." Arata was going to have patience, he expected this going in. However, he wasn't expecting how much effort they were going to have to put on just getting past the first day.

The words weren't the problem, in fact the two of them probably already memorized every line that they had to do for this short play. After all, it was only going to cover tidbits of the novel and movie. Not reenacting the entire thing.

The problem was Yuki's body language, any short personal moment, she'd almost always recoil at. He could handle that she wasn't skilled, she's not an actor after all. It's just that it was clear it wasn't just inexperience that was getting her into trouble.

"I'm sorry." She apologized again. "I don't think I'm really the person for this." She said to him, afraid he might get mad.

"Yuki..." He had to think really hard on this. How was he going to try and encourage her? "Is there a problem with me?" Maybe the direct approach might save him here.

"Oh no." She quickly deflected. "I hope you don't think I hate you."

"I wasn't saying that." He clarified. "But then, how come you flinch whenever you look at me?"

"I'm just... not comfortable with your face." As soon as those words exited her lips, she realized how poorly that might be taken. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to say that you were ugly!"