Sick Day

Ding dong. The door bell was rung by Arata, as he stood outside of Yuriko's house. Though the reason why he's here, isn't because of his high school friend.

"Hello?" She opened the door, a mask covering over his mouth.

"Hey, is Yurisa doing all right?" He was here because of her younger sister, who had contracted a bit of a cold. As a precaution, he had his own mask on as well.

"She's sleeping right now." She told him. "My parents are out to go get some medicine and groceries."

"Darn, I guess that means what I brought won't be needed." Arata held up a bag filled with some of the healthy snacks his dad liked to eat. Along with some soup he picked up at a nearby convenience store.

Even if it wasn't needed, she appreciated the offerings. Either way, she stepped aside and let him in. Arata entered and dropped off his stuff onto the kitchen counter. With permission, he took a pot and began to boil some water to make a meal for the younger girl.

"It's too bad that you two had to miss out on playtime." He said, referring to their babysitting job. It was weird doing it without those two. Almost like a throwback to before he met them. "We all missed Yurisa."

"Yeah, I'm sure that her being gone wasn't fun." She said with a pout. That action made him realize his mistake.

"I mean, I missed you too." He said, trying to save himself. "It's funner when there's someone my age there."

"Whatever, it's not like I do that much at your place." She crossed her arms and left to go check on her sister. The sick girl should be waking up soon, so hopefully he could get his food ready in time.

Arata felt a little bad for Yuriko. That girl is his friend, yet she just gets left out when it comes to anything he's doing. The way he acted made it seem like he only was friends with her because of her sister.

"Guess who's here..." Arata had finished cooking, and peeked his head into the little girl's room. Yuriko was waiting for him, after gently waking her younger sister.

"Arata." She said, in a very weak tone. "You came." Seeing him made the sick girl perk up a bit.

"Yep, and I got something nice for you to eat." He entered the room, filled with what would expect a little girl like herself would have. Stuffed animals covered her bed, the walls had posters of idols and children's anime. The color scheme screamed pink and white.

"Thank you." Yurisa expressed her gratitude, then started getting to work on eating. Being sick built up quite an appetite for her. The trio sat mostly silent. Just allowing the little girl to get her fill.

Something seemed off about Yuriko to him. She was awfully quiet, even more so than usual. Perhaps she wasn't feeling too well herself.

"You know, I got some more soup, if you want me to-"

"I'm fine." She cut him off. "But thanks for the offer." To shut him down so easily, did he do something bad, he wondered. "I'm going to the bathroom, don't do anything stupid while I'm gone." Yuriko directed that to the both of them. Then she got up and exited the room, leaving only the slurping sounds from Yurisa as the only noise.

"Did I do something wrong?" He asked. "Your sister seems a bit upset."

"She's only a little sad because we couldn't see you earlier today." Arata never really considered going to his place as a highlight for her day. "Because she likes you."

"Huh?" What type of declaration was this? That's hardly something she should be telling him, not that he believed it to be true anyway. "I think you're misunderstanding her."