Eyes Wide Shut

Now the whole gang was here, with the fireworks set to start any minute. Nothing else could be more exciting.

"Arata..." Ayami had a playful tone as she walked up to him. "I see you're much happier now."

"I don't know what you're talking about." He denied it. "I just had to go to the bathroom, that's all."

"Really? Because, I think you were missing her." She pointed over to Erina. That girl was conversing with everyone. A complete opposite than what she was like when he was talking with her.

"Missed her? That's funny." He played it off. "We just ran into each other, and I just told her that everyone was going to miss her if she couldn't make it. That's all." Ayami just softly laughed at him. She could tell what the truth was, even if he didn't know it himself.

"So that means she isn't the girl that like you?"

"Definitely not." He answered, then leaned in closely to Ayami. "The truth is, she like Yogi too."

"She does!?" Ayami was shocked to hear she had a rival. One that definitely had an advantage over her.

"She's not the only one." He informed her of the rest. Much to her dismay. "And the truth is, I'm supporting everyone one of you."

"I understand." She replied. Though that wasn't the best news she wanted to hear. The announcement was made that the fireworks were about to begin. "So, are you going to do it? You know, close your eyes?"

"Hmm..." Arata thought about it for a second. He knew that Ayami probably wouldn't have the guts to kiss Yogi with all the girls able to see it. Unless... "I'll do it, but only if you promise me that you'll kiss Yogi."

"What?!" She took a step back at hearing that. She had never kissed a boy before, and the thought of doing it with him.

"Plus, you'll be able to know who likes me that way, right?" He continued. "So I think this is a win for everyone." Admittedly, he wasn't sure about how he felt about Matsu. But that girl, he felt could at least feel better that she kind of confessed to him.

"Okay, I'll do it." She couldn't contain her beating heart. Without much time for it to begin. She didn't get the chance to steel herself.

In fact, the time was now. The first firework was sent to the sky. Bursting in an explosion full of beauty. The crowd was amazed at what came before them. Even those that had grown up in town. Seeing this display each and every year. There was just something about this, that always felt special no matter what.

Maybe because of what it represented to this town. With their world entering the fall season. Winter was going to come upon everyone soon. A cold time, yet a time to come together. A time to rely of the warmth of others during the harsh Winter months.

Something stirred in Arata. Not out of sadness, but of appreciation of what his life had become. So this is what he had been missing all his life. One that he thought he should've pushed away a long time ago.

"I'm going to close my eyes now." He said quietly with a smile, but loud enough that people interested in him could hear it. Arata felt it was a bit of a shame to miss out on this show. But maybe, this was the better reward.

As he said he was going do, his eyes were now closed. Even though the brightness of the fireworks were able to penetrate his eyelids. There was no way he could see anything, only the sounds occupied his senses.

Until the expected came. A girl's soft lips connected with his. So this is what it feels like to kiss someone, he thought. This had to be Matsu, who else could it have been?