Responsibilities

So he had the job of trying to save the library? That sounded like a terrible thing to drop on a guy on his first day of the job. Of course Misei and Misao did say they'd help, but Arata was going to be doing most of the work.

That was fine anyway, no point in replacing them only to find out that this position was meaningless. But there was another thing about this whole library business that was concerning him.

"Hello, I assume you're here for the request... Oh, I didn't realize that you were coming." That would the librarian.

"Yeah, I didn't think I'd be here either." He responded to her coldly. "But starting today, I'm this school's new treasurer and secretary."

"Now that really is wonderful." Hifumi said, her tone making it clear that she was happy about how this situation turned out. "I'm quite proud of you."

"I don't really need your approval." He replied. "And speaking of, where's the rest of the library committee?"

"You're looking at it." She couldn't honestly be the only person running this, he thought. No wonder the teachers were thinking of closing this place down. "It's a shame, but no one seems particularly interested these days for this place."

"It's a shame all right." That was going to make his job harder, Arata was starting to regret just feeling like the library should've stayed open. "Are you sure we should even be trying?"

"And just let this place get taken away?" She refuted him. "This is a sanctuary, a place where one goes to for privacy. Many students have found their love here." The way she was wording it made it feel like the books weren't the big deal here.

The truth was that she had witnessed many confessions here. Many more interactions between two people, the budding of love just growing. Or perhaps a first meeting, every moment meant something.

"At least you're honest." He listened to her stories. "I thought you were going to go on a rant about how important the knowledge stored in this books are."

"That's very much important too." She continued on. "I just think it's a shame if the students of today and tomorrow don't get the chance to really experience everything a library has to offer."

"I can't disagree with you on that." He sat down beside her, pulling out all of the papers he brought. "It's just too bad that convincing other people that isn't so easy."

"So what are these?" She scanned over the paperwork he had with him. "I'm assuming this is related to me."

"It is." He explained to her what this was all about. He had the school budget's numbers in front of him. The most important number in it, being how much was sent to the library. Aside from getting more interest on this location, there was also the problem of convincing them that the usage was enough for the money.

"Okay, then let's see what we've got on our hands." She took a copy he made for her to look over what they could plan.

"Maybe if I lower how much is allocated, then we won't need as many people using it to..." Arata was crunching the numbers in his head. Trying to see if there was a way to strike a balance. This job was really important, and he knew that he shouldn't let everyone down. The pressure was really on.

"So, did you go to the fall festival?" Hifumi asked him.

"I'm not really here for small talk." He answered her with irritation in his voice. "Do you even want to save this place?"

"It's just that you're looking stressed out, and my grandmother always said that stress will show up in your performance if you fester in it."

"...Fine, I did." He begrudgingly answered her question. "And you?"