A Dinner for Too Many

"You got everything in order mom?" Arata asked. With this important date, everything just had to be right.

"I'm so excited." She replied to him. Getting her makeup finished. "It's been a while since we celebrated together."

"It's only been a few months." He told her, unamused. "And we always eat out on your anniversary every year."

"Oh, when you get old like me and your father, you'll understand."

"What? But you're not that old..."

"True." She giggled. "I'm not even 40 yet." Her preparations were complete. Arata had already finished a while, he was just waiting on her.

"So we're going to the same place as last time." He asked her.

"Of course, it's your father's favorite after all."

"Then why do I have to dress up like this to go to that joint?" Unlike most days, the outfit he was wearing for this was far from informal. He hadn't worn clothes this nice since the school dance. Nor did he do up his hair like he did.

"Come on, it's a special occasion." She checked him to make sure there wasn't anything wrong. "Your father doesn't get to be home as much as he'd like. Plus, it's not everyday that he gets to come back on our anniversary." She said, gleefully.

"He always gets a day off for your anniversary."

"Yes, but it's not everyday, is it?" She smiled. "Anyway, we should get going." She checked the time. If they didn't leave soon, they'd be late.

"Dad's plane should've landed by now. I hope Ayami doesn't make him wait." Arata knew she took the car. Sadly, that meant he and his mom needed to walk to the restaurant. Thankfully it wasn't a long walk.

"Oh, she left early. If anything he's making her wait." She joked. They were about to head outside, when Arata's phone rang.

"Hello?" He said, as he slipped on his shoes.

"Ah finally." It was Yogi on the line. "I've been trying to reach you for a while now."

"Yeah, sorry." He replied. "I've just been busy, Did you need something?"

"Actually, we're going to grab some dinner, I was wondering if you could make it."

"Sorry, I can't. It's my parents anniversary." For once in his life. He actually had a genuine excuse to not be with Yogi.

"Wow really?" He said. "Well hope you have fun. And tell them I said congratulations." He hung up the phone.

"That sounded like that Yogi boy you know." His mom leaned into the conversation. "He's such a sweet kid." She had heard everything from him, including the congratulations.

"Yeah." Yogi was the kindest person he ever knew. If there was such a thing as deserving a harem in real life, that would be the boy he'd want in the middle of it. "Come on, let's get going." They locked up and made their way to their dinner location.

Arata really wished his dad had finer tastes. Why did his favorite restaurant have to be some old run-down sushi place. It's not as if the food was bad. In fact, he thought it was rather delicious. Just, this was what he thought was a good place for an anniversary dinner? The way his mom was walking, she was certainly looking forward to it.

"Hey mom?" He asked. "Isn't this your 20th anniversary?"

"So you do pay attention." She laughed, ticking him off a little. "And yes, you're right. We've been married for 20 years now."