Two Birds, No Stones

The school bell rang. Another day finally completed, well at least for people not named Arata. For him, that just meant it was time to head to the library and work on saving it once more. Maybe they'd be able to make some headway this time.

"Arata." A girl called out to him as he was walking. It was Misao, calling him over to her.

"Hey, did you want to walk together to the library?"

"It's not that, I have another job for you to work on." That wasn't what he wanted to hear when he saw her. He started to regret coming to her, even though he'd have to handle this one way or another.

"Another one? But I barely started on the first one."

"I'd put this on the minor side of effort." She didn't really care about his complaints. "I have a request from the news club. They didn't want to be specific, but they have something they said shouldn't take too long to work on."

"You should've made them clarify before just taking that at face value!" He yelled at her, but the lack of detail wasn't his problem. Rather, it was hearing of that club again. It reminded him of what had happened between him and another one of its members. More accurately, ex-member.

"Even if it's harder than I think it'll be. Just know that it takes a lower priority than the library situation." She explained to him. "Here's the paperwork to let you know the details of this club. Go ahead and talk to them first, we'll all meet you in the library later." With that she left, and he headed towards his new destination.

"Hello?" Arata slowly walked into the news room. The last time he was here, things weren't so great. Hopefully this would go better than that. "Is anyone here? I'm the secretary here to help with your problem."

"Finally." what greeted him was a lone girl sitting at the table. "Hey, Susa! The person you ran to for help is here!" She yelled out, without having to wait. A boy came out of a door into this room. Given the nature of this place, Arata assumed that was a dark room for developing photos.

"Great, it's nice to... Um I was under the impression that you were going to be-"

"The old secretary is actually about to move away. So I'm the new one that's replacing him."

"Oh okay." It was clear how disappointed this boy was in hearing this. "Well anyway, I'm sure you need to hear what exactly our problem is, right?" Arata nodded, and this prompted explanation. After they had properly introduced themselves.

Things weren't so peachy keen anymore, not after the sudden departure of their leader and best reporter, Yurime. For starters, they no longer had the four members required for existence, so they would lose their budget if they didn't find a new member first.

Even though the person explaining it to him would've liked to believe that everything would be okay if they found someone to fill out the roster once more. It was clear to Arata that there was more under the surface.

The girl that sat at the table, her name being Horin Koga, always had some snide remark to make about the kid telling Arata everything.

The person standing before him, his name was Susa Kaminaga, and from his demeanor. There was something clearly wrong with him. Not in any mean way, but more like he was really sad in telling this to Arata. Especially whenever he mentioned Yurime.

Finally, there was the lack of their third member, Hansu Kuwano, who apparently already went home. Without even mentioning it, this group was clearly hanging on by a thread.

"So that's it." Susa finished his story. "I hope you don't think it'll be too challenging." It didn't' sound too bad, but there was other matters for him at hand.