Not my Intention

"Huh?" There was no way he was hearing that right. She didn't honestly just say that she was in love with him. That had to be some dumb joke she was pulling on him.

"You heard me. I said that the boy I like, was you."

"Uhh, hehe." He laughed nervously. "So, I guess the next thing you'll say is that you're kidding, right?" Misei didn't appear very happy to hear that. In fact, she didn't even crack a smile at his words.

"That's mean. To play off a girl's confession like it's a joke." She turned her head down, her eyes showing her sadness.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make fun of your feelings." He stammered to save this conversation. "Wait, if you're serious..." This girl really did just say that she liked him. Not just any girl, but Misei of all people.

"I am." She sat herself back down. Her shaky hands betrayed how she felt about admitting this to him. "This is a strange feeling. I've never confessed to anyone." This wasn't the first time he was confessed to. Except this one was different. For once, this was coming from a girl he had considered as a friend for a while now.

"Then that means you've never confessed to Yogi." He said. Not technically a surprise, except why would she be doing it with him this time?

"That's correct." She regained her composure to him. "I never told him about my feelings, which I'm sure you have some questions about." Thankfully, she was able to read his mind of that.

"Yeah, and I think the first thing I want to know, is why?" He asked. "Why me instead of him?"

"The truth of the matter is that I've been... torn for a while now..." She explained. When did it begin? She couldn't tell, but there was a point where she started to get interested in him.

However, it wasn't like she liked him at that point. Not beyond friends anyway, and certainly not over Yogi. Except that there were some things that Arata did, that meant something to her.

"You always seems to put others above yourself, even when it's not your fault." She remembered when the two had their little disagreement, which lead to some awkward things between the two. She admitted that it was her fault, he did nothing wrong. Yet even knowing that, he still apologized to her, as a way to get her to open up again.

That was when she saw the errors of her ways. The problem with her attitude that plagues her still. Her inability to open up her vulnerabilities, not letting others see her weaknesses.

"Oh geez, to hear all that..." He commented. For some reason, it made him feel bad. Because making her fall for him was never his intention. "I'm just not sure what to say."

"Yes, I'm sure that this is all a bit much to take." She had to admit to herself that this was rather rash of her, but there was something that pushed her over the edge. "I'm sorry for dropping this on you."

"You shouldn't apologize for telling me your feelings." Sure this wasn't easy to mull over, especially given everything else going on in his life. "I just have to ask, why now?"

"Well, I'd have to say that what pushed me to you, would be what you did for Rukaya." He told that boy to confess, even when he believed that she was still in love with Yogi.

"Because I told someone to do something I knew they'd fail in?" That felt like a strange reason to him. If anything, Arata would've thought it'd make someone not like him.

"Because I realized something special about you, that Yogi doesn't have." She corrected him. "You're always pushing people to try and do the right thing. And while I think you overdid it during the library play, I can say that you try to understand others' feelings."

What she said wasn't false. Arata could feel that Yurime was always wishing to return to the news club. He could tell how badly they wanted her back, even when they knew the truth. There were even things that Misei was unaware of that pointed to this as well. Such as Akaki or with herself.

The two stayed silent for a little while. Only the running water of the fountain she was sitting on could be heard. He contemplated on the words she just spoke to him. Even if that were true, does that really make him a more attractive person that Yogi?

"And there's another reason I wanted to confess to you today." She was the one to break the silence. "I'm very well aware of that I'm not the only one whose affection is directed towards you." So she knew who kissed him that day. Actually, now that he was thinking of it. She was one of them that did so.

"I know of at least one of them." He said, referring to Matsu and Hifumi. Though the other girl was still a mystery to him. "But you know that if you're confessing to me, then I can just reject you."

"I know that being first doesn't guarantee anything." She wasn't even the first one at that anyway. "Which is why I don't want you to answer me right now." She was willing to wait, knowing that he was aware of her true feelings. Since this came to him out of nowhere, given that he believed it was Yogi she was attracted to. Misei was fine with giving him some time to think this over.

"Are you sure?" He asked. Misei got up from her seat. It was time to get going to home before it was too late for him. "I don't want you to waste your time if I don't give you an answer soon."

"How thoughtful of you." She took his hand, leading him back home. "I'll ask again when I feel the time is right. I'm certain that you'll have your answer then." Arata wasn't confident in that. Mainly due to not knowing when that was. Nor how he felt about this girl himself.

Holding her hand, this felt different compared to Matsu or Erina. At least with Erina, it was because they were just friends. But is this different to Matsu's because she was open about how she felt with him?

Then what about what he felt for her? If it was simply a matter of appearance, then she had that in spades. If anything, this girl was completely his type. Her calm cool demeanor, her mature outfits, and that slender body of hers.

But he knew there was more to what he would've wanted from a girl than just looks. The person on the inside, there still wasn't a lot he could say he knew about her. Sure she was smart, though somewhat arrogant at time. Her service as the school president was more than appreciated, but what does that mean for him?

"Misei." He spoke up, there were nearly at her house. So this final thing he had to say to her was of upmost importance. "Are you free tomorrow, on Sunday?"

"Oh?" She smiled. "You've already decided?"

"I... can't say that I have." he admitted to her. "But, perhaps I can learn more of you? I can't promise that I'll know for certain, but I'll try."

"I can live with that." She said. "And yes, I'm free then. For our date." Misei said to make it clear between the both of them. As if that needed to be spoken.

"Right." They were at her front door. So he imagined that this was then end of this conversation. "Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yes." She smiled. "But before you leave, I'll make sure you think of me until then."

"What do you-" He was going to ask, but she cut him off. Kissing him right on the lips. He could feel her soft lips, this was something he was familiar with. Confirming what happened on that night. Just as sudden as she kissed him, it was already over.

"Hmm." She smiled, giving him a pat on the head. "I'll see you then." Soon she entered her house, leaving him both motionless and speechless at her front door.

"..." His heart was beating crazy from that. His mind was no longer sure about anything he ever thought before.