Playing Both Sides

"I wanted to say to you... That I like you!" A familiar sight. "So please, I'd like to go out with you." Akaki sighed, how many hearts was he going to have to break?

"I'm sorry, but I don't feel the same way." He let her down easy, as he did with everyone else.

"I see..." The girl hung her head down, hiding the tears welling up. "I'm sorry to bother you."

"It's not a bother to me." The girl walked away, a sight that he had seen too often. Even if he promised himself that he was going to help the girl he truly loved. Something inside him just couldn't move on. He sighed, and walked away from this scene.

"So that's another one, isn't it." As he rounded the corner, he was frightened to see Arata waiting for him.

"H-how long have you-"

"Sorry, I didn't meant to eavesdrop." He claimed innocence. "I was just looking for you, I had something important to talk to you about." Since he didn't have anything occupying him at the moment, he agreed.

"So what did you want to ask me?" They walked through the school halls. Classes were finished, usually that meant only clubs were around. However, because of the upcoming festival, more people were running back and forth for preparations.

"So how many is that now?" He ignored the question. "Three this week?"

"Y-yeah..." Getting confessed to was a very common occurrence for him. Probably due to the Summer break, it was happening more often once they got back to school. "I wish it didn't have to be that way."

"Yeah, you'd think they'd get the message by now." Said Arata. "After all, your heart's already taken."

"Hey, not so loud!" He got nervous, shooting his eyes back and forth for people nearby.

"Relax, everyone's too occupied with the culture festival to care about what we're talking about." Arata calmed him down. "Beside, if we looked for somewhere more private, someone might notice and follow us." Being someone with a major secret, he had gotten used to knowing how to hide in plain sight. He learned this the hard way after he tried sneaking that manga during last year's festival. Almost got caught then.

"You already know I've given up on her." He replied. "She loves Yogi, so it doesn't matter anymore." Akaki wasn't sure what he was getting to with this, but it was making him feel anxious.

"What if I haven't given up on her?"

"What? You can't just t-take her for yourself, I-I don't even think she likes you!" In his panic, he said this in a voice much louder than he wanted to. A couple of students stopped what they were doing and stared at them.

"M-mind your own business." Arata shouted back at them. Flustered by Akaki's sudden outburst. "And I-I'm not talking about myself here!" He couldn't deny that Akiba was a very attractive girl, but with everything going around her, along with his own personality. It wouldn't make any sense to him.

"Then what are you talking about?"

"Whether or not you want it. I'm going to be your supporter now." Arata was going to try and get Akiba to notice Akaki as more than a friend. This was going to be a step in his plan on handling his ordeal with both Erina and Ayami. However, there was more than just that as a reason.

"I don't want that at all." The tables had been turned on him now. He had spend most of his friendship with unrequited love. Now this boy that he hardly knew was trying to make it more requited. "You're just doing that because of Erina, aren't you?"

"Maybe..." He admitted. He didn't want to tell the truth about his sister, but there was something he felt comfortable saying. "But, it's mostly because I think it's sad to see you in this position."