Sorrow

Val's pov

Waking up to yelling was not what I wanted especially after an attack. Shifting I slowly open my eyes to see I was in the infirmary, Fred had my hand locked in his with George sitting on the other side with my Dad.

"-off then!" Raising my head slightly I see Molly yelling at someone across the room and see Bill was in the bed.

"F-Fred?" Turning my head to him he shoots up sighing with relief. "What happened?"

"Oh thank Godric you're alright." He shakes his head. "You were attacked by Snape...Harry was able to stop the bleeding but it's gonna scar."

Nodding I glance around him to see Fleur and Molly now hugging each other crying and raise an eyebrow. "Uh.."

"Oh that," George chuckles. "Yeah Mum thought Fleur was with Bill for just his looks and now that she's proven that she isn't they're fine, Bill was attacked by Greyback." My eyes widen realizing if I hadn't left Bill he probably would be fine.

"No, no that's my fault." I murmur making Fred frown. "I left him with Greyback oh no..."

"He's just got a couple scars sweetheart." My fiancé explains. "He's okay it wasn't your fault." He promises, brushing his thumb over my cheek softly. "Val...Dumbledore's gone."

"W-What?" My heart beat quickens as I go to sit up but wince making George and my dad step forward. "No, no Draco wouldn't-"

"No, he didn't." Everyone's gaze snaps over to Harry who had appeared. "Snape did," I could tell Harry was angry with me. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Why so you could kill him!" I spit back as I sit up ignoring the pain in my chest. "You already tried that once!"

"He's a death eater! And you protected him!" Harry roars stalking forward. "You knew and you didn't tell anyone or try to stop Dumbledore's death!"

"I didn't try!" I shriek pushing Fred's hands away and rising to my feet. "I tried everything I could Harry! I tried talking him out of it! I went to Snape about it! I did everything and it still isn't ever good enough for you! Might I remind you that you tried killing him a few weeks ago! You have no idea what he's gone through! They would've murdered his mother had he not done this! He went through hell and abuse from his father and from Voldemort, do not sit here and act like he is doing this because he wants to! You have no idea what he's been through!"

Everyone was silent as I feel my legs give out and fall to the ground. "Val!" I feel hands grab me and pull me to my feet realizing it was my dad who helped me back up. "Sweetheart, is it true?" 

"I knew," I shake my head tears falling, "I tried everything dad. I couldn't save him."

"Sssh it's okay." He sighs moving back to the bed. "Just try to relax, okay you were almost killed." I can't look at Fred as he and George stand near my bed. "Let's leave her to rest."

One by one they all filed out with Fred being the last. "Fred..."

"You tried helping a death eater."

"He's my family." I frown. "Wouldn't you do the same for George? Or any of your siblings?"

Fred shakes his head scoffing. "Good luck with the family Valentina." I stare after him in shock as he leaves the room, did...did he just break up with me?

"Dad?" I turn to him tears forming. "Why do I keep messing things up?"

"You aren't, your heart is in the right place and Fred will understand that. Draco is your cousin and he's become important to you. We're on the verge of a war and with Dumbledore dead..." My dad sighs trailing off. "His funeral is being held in two days...I don't know what the trio is planning on doing but I want you to stay here with me. Stay safe, especially if Voldemort will try to make you join him for your relationship with Draco."

"I want to come back to Hogwarts in the fall. I need to be here to help protect the students and Draco." My dad sighs but nods. "I can't sit back and do nothing."

"You'll join the order then, we can help keep you safe." My dad agrees. "I don't know what's going to happen but just promise me you'll be safe."

"Of course."

~~

Glancing around I slouch against my bed, we had just gotten done with Dumbledore's funeral and the repercussions of the battle with the death eaters. The Weasley family had returned to the burrow and I hadn't heard from Draco. I guess I wouldn't until the new school year but I hope he's safe. The darling trio had decided to go off in some secret search to help fight against Voldemort apparently.

"Miss Black." I turn to see Professor McGonagall standing in the doorway of the dorm looking better than before. She had been a part of helping keep the castle safe and it had taken a slight toll on her this year. "The train will be leaving soon, I suggest getting on it and not coming back."

"Professor? Why-"

"Professor Snape is going to be the headmaster, he's already moved into the headmasters office." She states stiffly. "He's assigned the Carrow's to be the defense and muggle studies. They will not take lightly to you being here." She explains. "You'll only be harmed if you come back."

"But what about the others who are not pureblood? The first years! They are kids! They don't deserve this. They need to be protected, I'm coming back next year professor. I can't let anyone else get hurt." I shake my head. "My dad's already agreed to let me go. I need to help."

Professor McGonagall sighs knowing there was nothing to do to change my mind. I was coming back to save as many people as I could. Wishing me good luck she disappears to make sure no one else was left behind. I quickly grab my luggage and head down to the train station. 

Students moved out of my way and gave me dirty looks as I push through to find an empty compartment. Most of them were filled by the time I had reached them, sighing I glance around knowing I'd have to ask someone to sit with.

"Val." Turning I'm surprised to see Neville standing a few feet away. "You can sit with us." He gestures to the compartment holding Luna as well.

"Thanks Neville." I join him and Luna just as the train pulls from the station and give them a small smile. "I'm glad you two are okay."

"We were really worried when we heard what Snape did to you." Luna states. "He must have had a reason." That had been something I had been thinking about, why did Snape do that to me? Was it to actually harm me or was it to stop me from following them and being kidnapped by death eaters. I wouldn't put it passed him to want to harm me after what my dad did to him growing up.

"I don't know. I'll guess I'll just have to find out in the fall." I glance out the window as Hogwarts disappears from view and knew that this year was going to be full of pain and misery.