The Eight

Val's pov

Tonight was the night. The minute that Harry's magical protection would disappear. "Are you sure about this?" Bill questions as I grab my broom. I don't answer making him sigh and grab my shoulder. "He's angry with you but that doesn't give you a reason to go out and have a death wish!" 

"He won't even look at me Bill!" Pushing his hand off my shoulder I stalk past the others and move to the front near Remus who glances over at me. "Shut it." 

"I didn't say anything." 

"You were thinking it." I grumble kicking the dirt before glancing back at the others who were talking quietly amongst themselves. "Prepared for war, at seventeen." Shaking my head I sigh, just like our parents we were thrust into a war we should've never had to deal with. Seen death and lost loved ones too early on. 

"You're thinking about him again." Remus states quietly glancing out at the night sky. 

"I always think about him before we face something dangerous, how brave and scared he must have been facing down Peter and Voldemort...I miss him." I raise my hand to the locket that was still around my neck three years later. Remus is quiet as Mad Eye appears in front informing us it was time. 

Flying always made me feel free...like I could go anywhere and do anything. Maybe that's why Charlie trains dragons, to feel free and the tempt to be anything you could. Lowering to the river I lean forward letting my fingertips drag against the water reflecting the night sky. Glancing over at Fred, my heart clenches to see him already staring back at me before pressing forward to join George. 

Maybe Tonks was right and I did deserve everything for helping Draco, or maybe I did the right thing and everything will work out in the end. Or I'll die tonight or in the near future. 

"We're landing!" Blinking I snap out of my thoughts and slowly bring myself to a stop as we reach Harry's old home. The house outside was nicely kept but the horror within the halls...I could remember breaking him out during second year cause Vernon put bars over Harry's windows. Smiling slightly I leave my broom and begin to follow everyone else in. 

"'ello 'arry!'" I could hear Hagrid greet as I enter the hallway out of sight. Stepping into the small living room I keep to the back as everyone greets him. He hadn't changed much, maybe grown a bit more but other than that...he was still the same Harry. 

Before anything else could be said, Mad Eye was stepping up. "Potter, you're underage, which means you've still got the Trace on you." 

"The Trace?" Harry repeats glancing at the others for some kind of explanation. 

"You sneeze and the Ministry will know who wipes your nose. Point is, we have to use those means of transport the Trace can't detect: brooms, thestrals and the like. We'll go in pairs. That way if anyone's out there waiting for us -- and I reckon there will be -- they won't know which Harry Potter is the real one." 

"The real one...?" Sighing I knew that anger wouldn't be more worse than it already was. I watch as Mad Eye pulls a flask from his cloak and smirk at the thought of our second year where we used Poly Juice potion to get into the Slytherin chambers. 

"I believe you're familiar with this particular brew." Realization clicks on Harry's face and he shakes his head. 

"No! Absolutely not!" 

Hermione shares a glance with Ron sighing. "I told you he'd take it well." 

"If you think I'm going to let people risk their lives for me-" 

"Never done that before, have we? Aye Val?" Stepping forward I push into the middle and sigh as Harry pauses. 

"Harry, we're family, all of us no matter what happened or happens. We will always be there for you and taking this...it's no different from when we went on our own adventures during school."