𝒙𝒙𝒊𝒊𝒊. the reaper

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: THE REAPER !

4x18
━━━━━━

HOTCH WANTED ANY CASES DOWN IN BOSTON THAT INVOLVED SERIAL HOMICIDES. And that's exactly what he got when JJ had come to him with a case file involving a murder with a couple.

The team had been on the jet, briefing about the murder with a man who named himself 'The Reaper'. "'The Reaper is driven by a need to dominate, control, and manipulate'." Hotch said, reading from a file.

"So then why would he offer a deal that would stop him from doing that?" Emily asks and Casey looks at the woman next to her. "Well, killing gave him power, but after so many, the payoff began to diminish. So he decided to switch tactics. Offering the deal gave him the ultimate power, Better even than killing. He manipulated the police Into voluntarily surrendering." Hotch told. "He even got it in writing." Reid added.

"He won, why start killing again?" JJ asks. "Well, because the only person who knew he'd won, the person he made the deal with, just died." Morgan explained. "Narcissistic killers need other people to recognize their power. That's why they contact the media." Rossi said. "So how did he stop for 10 years?" Casey asks.

"In 'Night of The Reaper'," Reid holds up a book that had been writing about The Reaper. "The author suggests he had been arrested for an unrelated crime or died. Perhaps he's trying to correct that misconception." Reid stated.

"What has he been doing all this time?" JJ asks. "Planning what he would do if he started killing again." Hotch answered and Morgan continued, "So from '95 to '98, he shoots, stabs, and bludgeons 21 victims. Men, women, all ages, all types. No specific victimology or MO. How did you build a profile from there?" Morgan asks Hotch.

Hotch had dealt with this criminal before, but he was never caught. To the day, the case always irked him. "We didn't," Hotch said. "Shaunessy sent us home before we had a chance. BTK, The Zodiac, and The Reaper all have similarities. They're all highly intelligent, disciplined, sadistic killers who name themselves in the press."

"Highly intelligent may be a bit of an understatement," Reid told. "The Reaper and The Zodiac Killer have never been arrested. The BTK Killer was only caught after twenty-five years because he went to the press to counter a book that said he'd died, moved away, or been locked up, just like this one." Reid explained.

"Speaking of the media, when this gets out, it's going to be a frenzy." JJ reminded. "If they get wind of this, they're going to be all over the Boston police." JJ holds up evidence of a note that had been sent to Shaunessy before he died by The Reaper himself.