𝒙𝒙𝒙𝒗𝒊𝒊𝒊. caution

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT: CAUTION !

5x15
━━━━━━

      THE TEAM HAD ALL BEEN SEATED AT THE ROUNDTABLE AS JJ HAD EXPLAINED TO THEM THEIR NEW CASE. The victims were found in open spaces, all found with their necks sliced open and the blade two feet away from them.

     "This is Captain Paul Collins. He's the third victim in two weeks in Providence, Rhode Island." JJ introduced, passing the picture over to Rossi. "Captain?" Reid asks. "Yeah, he just returned home two weeks ago from his fourth tour in Iraq. He's a decorated war hero." JJ explained.

      "Was he targeted because he's in the military?" Morgan asks. "No, just like the first two victims, he was targeted because he was convenient. He was killed at a church during an early service." JJ tells.

       "Neck was cut open, severed the carotid artery. Bled out in a matter of moments." Reid told. "Right in front of his daughter, too. That's not right." Casey added, looking over the file.

      "Murder in a church is highly symbolic. Is there a religious agenda involved?" Emily questions. "The detective on the case, Jake Moreland, ruled that out because of the first two victims. The first victim, Mike O'Donnell, was found under a sink in the men's room at a restaurant." JJ says.
      "What kind of restaurant?"
      "Local place, white tablecloths and jug wine. The second victim, Karen Lagrassa, was killed at the laundromat. All three had their throats slashed."

      "Aside from MO, the victimology's all over the place. It's like this guy doesn't care who he's killing, just how." Morgan tells. "And he's doing it in public without compunction for who sees him." Rossi added.
      "Do we have a sketch?" Hotch asks. "All anyone can agree on Is that it's a white male between 25 and 40." JJ tells. "Well, that narrows it down to all of Providence." Emily comments. "Hard to fault the witnesses given how bloody these murders must be."

      Casey looks down at the photo in front of her of the recent victim, Paul Collins. "What bothers me is the cooling-off period is getting shorter and shorter, but no attempt to hide who he is or what he's doing. I mean, an unsub this bold could be suffering from a major psychotic break." Morgan explains.

      "I already asked Detective Moreland to pull recent releases on prisons and mental hospitals." JJ tells. "We need to get to providence ASAP. Whether he's suffering a psychotic break or not, this could be the start of a spree." Hotch tells. "And anyone is a potential target."

      As usual, the team was settled onto the jet. Emily walked into the room as the team had been debriefing over the case. "Why is he using a knife? Guns assure the highest number of fatalities. If all he's interested in is quantity, he could be doing this more efficiently." Emily tells, taking the spot next to Casey on the jet. "A knife could be his weapon of choice. Knives point that he has more of the power. And he assumes he does." Casey told.