𝒗𝒊. conversations with a serial killer

CHAPTER SIX: CONVERSATIONS WITH A SERIAL KILLER !

3x14
━━━━━━

IT HAD BEEN AT LEAST A COUPLE OF WEEKS SINCE WHAT HAPPENED IN CHULA VISTA. Casey headed back to her classes for a week before going back to the BAU. That had been the deal with the academy director. Casey would take a case with the BAU and then afterwards, go back to the academy and take a couple of classes that she was required to take. It had been working out.

        But this wasn't really a case she had to take. Hotch had decided to take a visit down to a prison to talk to Chester Hardwick and took Reid and Casey with him. She knew that Chester Hardwick was a serial killer and he would be executed next week. They were having a custodial interview.

Casey had no idea why Hotch decided to bring her — an intern, to go and have a chat with a serial killer but he was the boss, so Casey figured... why not? She was currently looking around in the office she was in with Reid and Hotch.
       Reid had been seated in front of a desk and Hotch had been on the phone with JJ. "Yeah, JJ. Um, no, it's--it's-- it's a personal matter." Hotch said, causing Casey to look over at the boss in curiosity. "Yes, thank you. I will take care of it when I get back." With that, Hotch had hung up his phone.

"Is everything alright?" Reid asked. "Yeah, fine." Hotch said, even thought he didn't sound fine. "We can do this interview another time." Reid told. "Well, he's scheduled to be executed next week." Hotch reminded.

        "I can take the lead if you--" Reid volunteered but Hotch dismissed him and Reid muttered a small apology and the door had opened and Casey turned her attention on the door.

        A man had walked in and looked at Reid and Casey before focusing his eyes on Hotch. "Agent Hotchner?" He asked and Hotch nodded. The man closed the door behind him before shaking his hand.  He looked over at Reid. "You must be Dr. Reid." He held his hand out to him and to Casey's surprise, he shook his hand.

        Hotch looked over at Casey and introduced her. "This is our intern, Miss Casey Willows. She'll be helping us out in the custodial interview." Hotch explained and Casey shook the man's hand. "Pleasure to meet you, sir." Casey said.

         "Abner Merriman, Assistant Warden," The man introduced himself and looked at three altogether. "You're here to see out infamous inmate, Hardwick." He stated.

           "Yeah," Reid said. "He agreed to meet with us as part of our criminal personality research project prior to his execution." He explained.

          "I've read some of your studies in police journals," Abner said and Casey looked over and noticed that Reid had a dopey grin on his face — to which she kind of found . . . adorable.