56 | Downhill

Mofū laid a cold washcloth on Ahri's forehead.

They had moved her to the bedroom she and Blaze were staying in. It had been about a day and a half since she had fallen into the icy water.

The frostbite was mostly gone, but now she was running a fever.

They were still beyond snowed in, so they had to use what was on hand.

According to the thermometer, her temperature was 105 degrees Fahrenheit, and the only thing they could do to bring it down use cold washcloths, Todoroki's quirk, and some ibuprofen that had been in the first aid kit for God only knows how long.

They assumed the thermometer was correct considering how heavily she was sweating.

Bakugo brought in some soup.

"Hey, you think you could eat something for me Ri?"

She weakly shook her head.

"We need to keep you hydrated."

"I can't... not... not now..." she wheezed, before breaking out into a coughing fit.

Bakugo looked at her with concern in his eyes.

"Stop talking, you're pushing yourself too hard."

When she stopped coughing she laid back down and closed her eyes.

"I'm... sorry I had to... ruin this... for everyone..."

She coughed again.

"I wish I wasn't... such a liability..."

Blaze grabbed her hand.

"Don't talk like that."

Mofū blotted the wet cloth on Ahri's forehead as Mizu handed her a fresh, cool one.

"You need to rest, Ahri. You're going to overdo it. Go back to sleep."

Ahri's body slowly went to ease as she passed out from the fever for the third time that day.

"Blaze..." Mofū began, her voice shaking.

"I don't know if she's gonna make it this time."

He squeezed his eyes shut and tightened his grip on Ahri's hand.

"She will. She has too."

"Blaze," Mizu sighed. "I'm with Mofū on this one."

A tear rolled down Blaze's cheek.

"She's gonna pull through. I know she will. I won't let her leave me yet."

"Blaze-"

"She survived being crushed by a bus in an explosion. She survived being kidnapped, tortured, and raped by the league. She survived being Damien's pet and fighting in an arena. So how is this any different? She'll survive. She'll be okay."

He fought the lump growing in his throat.

"Everything is gonna be okay."

A sniff caused everyone to look to Todoroki. He was sitting next to Ahri on the bed, with his right hand on the back of her neck in an attempt to cool her down.

Tears were welling in his eyes.

"This is all my fault..." he whispered.

"I knew I should have frozen the lake over the rest of the way... I don't know why I didn't... and now..." he sniffed.

"Now I've killed one of my best friends..." a few tears trickled down his cheeks.

"I'm worse than my father..."