80 | The Death Talk

"Uncle Jikan?" Hoka tugged on Jikan's pant leg. "Where's mommy and daddy?"

Jikan froze.

Neko stood in the doorway, bottle feeding one of the Hijiri triplets.

Jikan sighed, kneeling so they could be at eye level. "Your mommy and daddy are at the doctor."

"Are they sick?"

Jikan looked up at his wife, who gave him a sad nod.

"Kind of."

"When will they be better?"

"I don't know."

"They're gonna get better right?"

Jikan nervously glanced around the room.

"Uh- I-"

He locked eyes with Neko who shook her head.

Right.

They haven't had the death talk.

"Can we visit them?"

"Uh..."

He looked back to his wife, who shrugged.

"We'll see about it. Right now it's your bedtime."

Hōka smiled and ran towards the bathroom. "We're gonna see mommy and daaaaaddy!"

Jikan stood up and walked over to Neko.

"Are you sure?"

She nodded.

"They have to learn at some point. Plus they'd probably appreciate get-well cards and stuff. It would help them have a reason to fight for their lives."

"But are you sure the hospital will let us in?"

"My aunt is the head nurse, so I'm sure I could pull some strings if needed. I'll head to the store tomorrow before everyone is up and get supplies so the kids can make cards. Then we can stop again on the way to the hospital and let them get balloons or something."

"What about the infants?"

"Izuku, Sukiru, Akiko, and Toei are all still in town and offering to help. I'll call them once everyone is in bed."

"Sounds like a plan."