83 | Nothing

Ahri quickly locked her car and booked it through the parking garage.

"Damnit!" She thought to herself as she wiped away a tear. "Go faster you stupid bitch!"

She quickly entered the hospital, checked in, and headed for the ICU (intensive care unit).

She found the room and dawned a paper mask per the doctor's request.

She opened the door and entered.

There he was.

Ahri's heart shattered.

She'd seen pictures of her in the hospital, but...

This...

This was worse.

Tears welled in her eyes as she ran to his side.

The heart monitor beeped steadily, yet he showed no signs of life.

His eyes were closed, and he lay still on his back.

Tubes, chords, and all kinds of monitoring equipment littered his body.

Life support.

Ahri grabbed his hand.

"Blaze, baby," she croaked, tears rolling down her cheeks. "Please don't leave me yet. I love you and I need you. Please come back."

She sniffed, and her husband laid seeming lifeless on the bed.

"Damn you, taking a bullet for me like that. I told you, you idiot. I love you, don't you get that? You mean as much to me as I did to you. I mean- as I do to you. I know you were trying to protect me. Blaze, I can't live without you, and you know that. You're the Romeo to my Juliet. The light to my dark. The ying to my yang. The stars in my sky." 

She wiped her tears away with her sleeve. "Why'd you have to be so reckless? A coma? Really? Getting fatally injured is my thing. Since you're playing Ahri in this situation, it's time for you to wake up now that I've told you I love you."

She was met with only the steady beep of the heart monitor.

That always worked when Blaze did it with her, and it was all she had left to try.

She sat with him for hours.

Waiting for something.

Hoping and praying for a miracle.

Hours turned into days.

Days turned into weeks.

Weeks turned into months.

Ahri stopped visiting as much; her heart couldn't take it. She focused all her energy on projects like gardening.

She slowly became more closed off and showed less emotion.

She felt dead inside.

Like a Blaze-sized hole had been left in her heart.

And no one could ever fill that hole.