Promise Me

--

"Juvia if you go on that mission, you will die!" Gray pleaded as the grip on her arm tightened in fear.

There was a silence that hung between them as he stared into her eyes. He could recall the first time he had. On that roof top years ago, he had never seen such a vibrant blue before. Breathtaking would be the word.

Those eyes held fear and anger, yet passion and love for all her friends. And those eyes that had watched him during highs and lows were brimming with tears and yet not a single cloud formed above.

She placed a hand on his cheek as he leaned into her touch, his own tears slipping away.

It was in that moment that Juvia knew what freedom felt like. The man before her had given her a second chance at a life she never thought was possible. The laughs and smiles that she had experience over the years felt natural now when it was foreign in the beginning.

"Juvia knows and she accepts it."

A sob bubbled in his throat as he pulled her to him. His arms surrounding her in a hug that she took part in. Her own arms wrapping around his as his face buried into her neck. She could feel his tears on her skin and blinked hers away as she held him there.

"I never got to tell you that I loved you." He said just loud enough for her to hear. Her arms squeezed him at those words.

The memories of them over the years played in her mind like a silent movie. Every action and gesture was for her and she never needed words to know his feelings.

She pulled from the head before meeting his gaze. "You never had too. Juvia always knew." She whispered.

His lips trembled as he captured her own. He craved for their first kiss to be full of life and passion, not a goodbye. She wasted no time in kissing back. His hands went to her waist as hers surrounded his neck and she let out a squeak.

The air between them was thick and heavy when they pulled apart. Her eyes glossed over with tears as she examined his face one last time, capturing every feature to memory.

"Thank you for showing Juvia what pure happiness was. I love you." She said calmly as she finally took a step back and wiped her tears. She didn't want him to see how much pain she was in. But he knew, he always knew.

"I love you too." He whispered and she gave him that smile he adored so much. "When you get back we will have the future we always wanted. A wedding, a baby, everything."

It was a false promise. They both knew it. But he wanted, no, he needed to hear her say it.

"Juvia would love nothing more than that."

"Promise me. Promise me we can have our future." He begged.

She took one last glance at him before pressing her lips softly against him as if she had done it a thousand times before. "I love you."

And the train doors closed.

---